Stephen E. Shay
Retired Partner & Consultant
Stephen E. Shay is a retired partner and consultant to Ropes & Gray and works closely with the firm to advise and support our clients on tax issues on an as needed basis.
Steve currently is the Paulus Endowment Senior Tax Fellow at Boston College Law School and previously was a Professor of Practice and Senior Lecturer on Law at Harvard Law School. Before joining the Harvard Law School faculty in 2011, Steve served as Deputy Assistant Secretary for International Tax Affairs in the United States Department of the Treasury in the Obama Administration. Prior to re-joining the Treasury Department in 2009, Steve was a tax partner for 22 years with Ropes & Gray LLP. Steve served in the Office of International Tax Counsel at the Department of the Treasury, including as International Tax Counsel, from 1982 to 1987 in the Reagan Administration.
- JD/MBA, Columbia University School of Law, 1976
- BA, Wesleyan University, 1972
Admissions / Qualifications
- New York
- Chambers Global: The World's Leading Lawyers
- Chambers USA: America's Leading Lawyers
- The Best Lawyers in America
- Euromoney's Guide to The World's Leading Tax Advisers
- Euromoney's, Guide to The Best of the Best