Stephen E. Shay
Retired Partner & Consultant
Stephen E. Shay is a retired partner and consultant to Ropes & Gray and works closely with the firm to advise and support our clients on tax issues on an as needed basis.
Steve currently is a Senior Lecturer on Law at Harvard Law School. Before joining the Harvard Law School faculty as a Professor of Practice in 2011, Mr. Shay was Deputy Assistant Secretary for International Tax Affairs in the United States Department of the Treasury. Prior to re-joining the Treasury Department in 2009, Mr. Shay was a tax partner for 22 years with Ropes & Gray, LLP. Steve also served in the Office of International Tax Counsel at the Department of the Treasury, including as International Tax Counsel, from 1982 to 1987.
- JD/MBA, Columbia University School of Law, 1976
- BA, Wesleyan University, 1972
Admissions / Qualifications
- New York
- Chambers Global: The World's Leading Lawyers
- Chambers USA: America's Leading Lawyers
- The Best Lawyers in America
- Euromoney's Guide to The World's Leading Tax Advisers
- Euromoney's, Guide to The Best of the Best