Thomas R. Spera
Thomas Spera joined Ropes & Gray in 2014 as an associate practicing in the tax & benefits department. Tom focuses his practice on transactional tax matters including the U.S. federal income tax aspects of domestic and cross-border mergers, acquisitions, and dispositions of public and private companies; private equity, venture capital, and hedge fund formations; and initial public offerings and debt issuances. Tom also advises clients on the tax aspects of derivative agreements. Tom’s pro bono practice has included the representation of a non-profit organization in obtaining its tax-exempt status.
Prior to joining the firm, Tom was an associate in the global structuring tax practice of PricewaterhouseCoopers LLP where he advised public and private companies on general corporate and international tax planning matters including cross-border mergers and acquisitions. During law school, Tom served as a judicial intern for the Honorable Debra C. Freeman of the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York.
- Represented American Industrial Partners in its $1.2 billion acquisition of the Arrium Group's Mining Consumables Division (Moly-Cop), an Australia-based producer of forges steel grinding media used in the processing of copper, gold and other minerals.
- Represented Bain Capital in its acquisition of TI Automotive, a leading provider of fluid storage, carrying, and delivery systems to automotive manufacturers.
- Represented TPG on its acquisition from Actavis plc of Actavis’ Aptalis Pharmaceutical Technologies (Pharmatech) business, a leading pharmaceutical research and development and manufacturing company.
- Represented The TJX Companies Inc., the leading off-price retailer of apparel and home fashions in the United States and worldwide, in its acquisition of Trade Secret, an off-price retailer with 35 stores in Australia.
- Represented Berkshire Partners in its equity investment in Implus Corporation, a provider of various brands of footwear, fitness, and recreational accessories.
- Represented Altamont Capital Partners in its sale of Cascade Windows, a leading manufacturer of windows and patio doors.
- Represented Emcor Group in its $205 million acquisition of Ardent Services and Rabalais Constructors.
- Represented Audax Group in an acquisition and disposition of two portfolio companies.
- Represented Hutchison China MediTech (Chi-Med), a China-based health care group and one of the largest biotech companies in Asia, in its $101 million U.S. IPO and listing on NASDAQ.
- Represented The Michaels Companies, Inc., a portfolio company of Bain Capital and The Blackstone Group, in two secondary offerings.
- Represented Bain Capital Credit in connection with various CLO matters.