Karina Thomas is an associate in the Litigation and Enforcement group, where she focuses on cross-border investigations, health care fraud investigations, and internal compliance program analysis, enhancement, and development in the U.S. and Latin America. Additionally, Karina assists clients in conducting risk-based deal diligence on high-risk cross-border transactions, focusing on anti-corruption, anti-money laundering and international sanctions risks.
In addition to her litigation practice, Karina has experience as a Brazilian lawyer representing companies in a broad spectrum of anti-corruption, white-collar crimes, and tax-related matters.
During her LL.M. in the U.S., Karina founded and served as the president of the Anticorruption and Anti-money Laundering Georgetown Student Association. Additionally, Karina was an extern at the Integrity Vice-presidency of the World Bank Group. During law school in Brazil, Karina was an extern at Mato Grosso State Criminal Court, Mato Grosso District Attorney’s Office, and Mato Grosso Embezzlement State Police Department.
- Conducted internal investigation for a health care company involving allegations of bribery in Latin America.
- Conducted internal investigation for a marketing company involving allegations of embezzlement in Brazil.*
- Designed and conducted compliance trainings for several multinational companies in Brazil.*
- Conducted cross-border investigations for a Multilateral Development Bank (MDB).*
- Represented a Brazilian investment firm in connection with violations of laws before the Chicago Mercantile Exchange.
- Conducted internal investigation for a major oil company involving allegations of bribery in Latin America.
- Conducted risk-based deal diligence on high-risk cross-border transactions focusing on anti-corruption, anti-money laundering and international sanctions risks.
- Designed and implemented anticorruption compliance programs for Brazilian and multinational companies.*
*Experience prior to joining Ropes & Gray
- Karina da Guia Leite and Leonardo Machado, “Shareholders, executives, and board members’ liabilities under the Anticorruption Act,” Revista do Advogado, Sao Paulo Lawyers Association, n. 125 (December 2014)
- LLM, Georgetown University Law Center, 2017
- MA, Fundação Instituto de Administração, Universidade de São Paulo, 2015
- LLM (Constitutional Tax), Pontifícia Universidade Católica de São Paulo, 2011
- JD, Universidade de Cuiabá, 2004
Admissions / Qualifications
- District of Columbia, 2022
- New York, 2020
- Brazil, 2006