Evan H. Tallmadge
Evan Tallmadge joined Ropes & Gray in 2018 as an associate in the corporate department. He practices primarily in the life sciences and intellectual property transaction groups for a range of private equity and strategic clients, with a focus on mergers and acquisitions and complex licensing and collaboration agreements.
During law school, Evan was the executive editor of the Harvard Journal of Law and Technology. His graduate research at Cornell University in the lab of David B. Collum was on the solution structures and kinetics of the lithium enolates of acylated 2-oxazolidinones.
Licensing and Strategic Transactions
- Represented Pfizer in a novel strategic partnership with Flagship Pioneering to explore opportunities to develop 10 single-asset programs, with Pfizer having an option to acquire each development program and Flagship and its platform companies eligible to receive up to $700M in milestones and royalties for each successfully commercialized program.
- Represented Adaptimmune Therapeutics in its $3+ billion strategic collaboration with Genentech to research, develop and commercialize cancer-target allogeneic T-cell therapies, under which the companies will combine their technologies and expertise to research and develop “off-the-shelf” cell therapies for up to five cancer targets and develop a novel allogeneic personalized cell therapy platform.
- Represented Selecta Biosciences in an exclusive licensing and development agreement with Astellas Pharma for Xork, a potential next generation immunoglobulin G protease, that will be developed for use with Astellas’ AT845, an investigational, adeno-associated virus (AAV)-based treatment for Late-Onset Pompe disease (LOPD) in adults.
- Represented a leading children’s hospital in a series of negotiations for a comprehensive overhaul of its IT systems, including a new electronic medical record system.
- Represented TransMedics in a series of design and supply agreements for advanced medical device components.
- Advised Northwell Health, New York’s largest healthcare provider, on the licensing of 3D print files for purposes of making adapters for ventilators to alleviate the COVID-19 crisis.
- Represented a multinational pharmaceutical company in the negotiation of a clinical development agreement with an option to acquire the counterparty if the key drug candidate is successful.
- Represented Sarepta Therapeutics, Inc. in a $1.15 billion exclusive license agreement with Roche to launch and commercialize Sarepta's investigational gene therapy for Duchenne muscular dystrophy outside the United States.
- Represented a biopharmaceutical company in the negotiation of a clinical and commercial supply agreement with a key Chinese manufacturer.
Mergers & Acquisitions and Venture Capital
- Advised The Vistria Group on intellectual property and licensing matters relating to a series of healthcare-related acquisitions, including Help at Home.
- Advised Genstar Capital portfolio company Tekni-Plex on intellectual property and licensing matters related to a series of technology-related acquisitions.
- Represented Eversource Energy and its subsidiary Aquarion Water Company in its acquisition of The Torrington Water Company.
- Advised Charlesbank Capital Partners on its investment in Park Place Technologies.
- Advised a private equity fund on intellectual property and licensing matters relating to its multi-billion dollar bid for a pharmaceutical company.
- Advised an underwriter on intellectual property and licensing considerations for the IPO of a pharmaceutical company in the rare disease space.
- Advised a private equity fund on licensing matters in its minority investment in an internet infrastructure company.
- Co-author, “M&A Considerations in Licensing and Collaboration Agreements,” Westlaw Journal Intellectual Property (October 8, 2019)
- Evan H. Tallmadge, Nationalizing TRIPS: An Examination Through Exceptions, 18 J. Marshall Rev. Intell. Prop. L. 285 (2019)
- Janis Jermaks, Evan H. Tallmadge, Ivan Keresztes, & David B. Collum, Lithium Amino Alkoxide–Evans Enolate Mixed Aggregates: Aldol Addition with Matched and Mismatched Stereocontrol, 140 J. Am. Chemical Soc’y 3077 (2018)
- Evan H. Tallmadge, Patenting Natural Products after Myriad, 30 Harv. J.L. & Tech. 569 (2017)
- Evan H. Tallmadge, Janis Jermaks, & David B. Collum, Structure–Reactivity Relationships in Lithiated Evans Enolates: Influence of Aggregation and Solvation on the Stereochemistry and Mechanism of Aldol Additions, 138 J. Am. Chemical Soc’y 345 (2016)
- Evan H. Tallmadge & David B. Collum, Evans Enolates: Solution Structures of Lithiated Oxazolidinone-Derived Enolates, 137 J. Am. Chemical Soc’y 13087 (2015)
- Joseph Renny, Laura Tomasevich, Evan Tallmadge, & David Collum, Method of Continuous Variations: Applications of Job Plots to the Study of Molecular Associations in Organometallic Chemistry, 52 Angewandte Chemie, Int. Ed., 11998 (2013)
- JD, cum laude, Harvard Law School, 2018
- PhD (Chemistry and Chemical Biology), Cornell University, 2015
- BS (Biochemistry), magna cum laude, Stonehill College, 2010
Admissions / Qualifications
- Massachusetts, 2018
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office