Josh advises a wide range of public and private companies, investors, institutions and individuals in connection with a variety of commercial and intellectual property matters, including intellectual property and technology licensing and transfer, product development collaborations, joint ventures, mergers and acquisitions, initial public offerings, trademark clearance and prosecution and social media advertising.
Josh works with a diverse group of companies, institutions and individuals, including private equity investors, venture capitalists, non-profits, pharmaceutical and biotechnology companies, financial institutions, asset management companies, insurance companies, authors, photographers and artists.
Strategic Life Sciences Transactions
- Counseled Tmunity Therapeutics, a private clinical-stage biotherapeutics company, in connection with both its Series Seed and Series A investments, as well as numerous clinical trial agreements, sponsored research agreements and general intellectual property matters.
- Advised The Broad Institute in connection with drafting and negotiating a series of agreements with DuPont Pioneer related to the creation of a joint-licensing regime for foundational CRISPR-Cas9 technology aimed at enabling third parties who want to apply such technology for use in agricultural research and product development.
- Counseled a leading, international pharmaceutical company in connection with its sale and assignment of various intellectual property assets to, and investment in, a newly formed pharmaceutical company, Cerevance, focused on developing and discovering therapeutics for neurological and psychiatric disorders.
- Advised Pfizer in a strategic agreement with MedGenesis Therapeutix, granting Pfizer an exclusive worldwide option to license MedGenesis’s glial cell line-derived neurotrophic factor protein and convection enhanced delivery technology to be used in research for potential treatments for Parkinson's disease.
- Advised Pfizer in a stock and asset purchase agreement relating to its acquisition of a late-stage small molecule anti-infectives business from AstraZeneca.
- Assisted Becton Dickinson in connection with its divestiture of a medical device product line, including negotiating a patent and know-how assignment agreement, a patent license-back agreement and a trademark license.
- Advised Agios Pharmaceuticals in connection with various commercial agreements, including a packaging agreement and logistics agreements for certain pharmaceutical products.
Intellectual Property Licensing
- Advised The Museum of Fine Arts in connection with various intellectual property and trademark licensing matters relating to its sale of the School of the Museum of Fine Arts to Tufts University.
- Counseled Skillsoft Corporation, a premier provider of eLearning solutions, in connection with various naming rights issues related to its creation of a new series of online leadership training courses.
- Assisted IASIS Healthcare in connection with various trademark licensing matters relating to its construction of a medical hospital.
Mergers, Acquisitions and Other Commercial Experiences
- Counseled Dunkin’ Brands in connection with various intellectual property matters related to a $2.6 Billion securitization financing (2015) and $1.55 Billion securitization financing (2017).
- Advised TSG Consumer Partners in its $700 Million investment in Pabst Brewing Company.
- Counseled numerous private clients with creation and protection of various artistic works, including: (1) the creation of photographs of paintings for use in a catalogue raisonné about the works of George Romney and (2) the creation of photographs of clothing and ephemera for use in a book about American fashion.
- “Criminal Charges with Too Much Bite: Why Charging and Convicting HIV-Positive Biters and Spitters of Attempted Murder is Unjustifiable,” 12 Conn. Pub. Int. L.J. 461 (2013)
- “Jurisdictional Game Changer or Narrow Holding? Discussing the Potential Effects of Stern v. Marshall and Offering a Roadmap through the Milieu,” 9 Seton Hall Cir. Rev. 31 (2012)
- “Out of One Closet and Into Another: Why Abused Homosexual Males Refrain from Reporting Their Abuse and What to Do About It,” 8 Am. Univ. Modern Am. 21 (2012).
- JD, cum laude, Boston University School of Law, 2013; senior note development editor, Boston University Law Review
- BA (International Relations), James Madison College, 2010
- BA (Economics), Michigan State University, 2010