Kyle Tsui is a senior attorney in Ropes & Gray’s intellectual property litigation group. He focuses his practice on patent litigation including post-grant proceedings before the Patent Trial and Appeal Board (PTAB) such as inter partes reviews (IPRs).
Prior to joining Ropes & Gray, Kyle was an associate at a national law firm’s Northern Virginia office. There, he gained experience in IPRs, proceedings before the International Trade Commission (ITC), and appeals to the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit. He also drafted and prosecuted patent applications in a variety of technological fields including medical devices, mobile devices, and software systems. Kyle previously worked at the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO) where he examined patent applications related to vehicle control systems and navigation systems.
Before attending law school, Kyle was a programmer for Dell, Inc. He was responsible for significant portions of the content generation framework that was utilized across the company to generate Dell’s global online presence.
- A major multinational telecommunications equipment company v. Harris Global Communications, Inc. (IPR2019-01512) – Representing a major multinational telecommunications equipment company in challenging patents related to secure wireless networks.
- American medical technology company v. Baxter Corp. (IPR2019-00119, IPR2019-00120, IPR2019-00121) – Representing an American medical technology company in ongoing PTAB IPR trials relating to automated methods of preparing pharmaceutical dosages.
- Certain Color Intraoral Scanners and Related Hardware and Software, 337-TA-1091 (ITC), Certain Intraoral Scanners and Related Hardware and Software, 337-TA-1090 (ITC): Represented 3Shape A/S in an investigations brought by Align Technology, Inc.*
- Corning Optical Communications RF, LLC v. PPC Broadband, Inc. (PTAB / Fed. Cir.): Represented Corning Optical Communications RF, LLC in multiple inter partes review and Federal Circuit appeals related to coaxial cable connectors.*
- Certain Coaxial Cable Connectors and Components Thereof and Products Containing Same, 337-TA-938 (ITC): Represented Corning Optical Communications RF, LLC in an ITC investigation brought by PPC Broadband, Inc.*
*Experience prior to joining Ropes & Gray
- Co-author, “Supreme Court Holds That the Government is Not a “Person” With Standing to Bring AIA Post-Grant Patent Challenges,” IP Litigator (July-August 2019)
- JD, Wake Forest University, 2009
- BS (Mechanical Engineering, Economics, Engineering & Public Policy), Carnegie Mellon University, 2002