Paul Tang is an associate in the private equity transaction group of Ropes & Gray and a registered foreign lawyer in the Hong Kong office.
Paul has represented private equity sponsors and private equity backed portfolio companies in growth capital investments, buyouts, joint ventures and dispositions in Asia Pacific, Europe, North America and Africa. Paul also has extensive experience in advising major multi-national corporate clients on strategic investments in China as well as in advising Chinese enterprises on their overseas acquisitions. He has advised clients on a broad range of sectors including TMT, health care, food and beverage, financial institutions, industrials and resources.
- Advised Bain Capital in the Bain consortium’s US$ multi-million acquisition of a majority equity stake in Carver Korea Co., Ltd. Carver is a Korean cosmetics company.
- Advised NetEase, Inc. in its various joint venture transactions with Transsion, one of the leading mobile phone manufacturers in emerging markets
- Advised NetEase, Inc. in its investment in SunEase, Inc., a provider of e-mail integration solution and corporate email post office operation services, sales of domain names and search engine marketing.
- Advised NetEase, Inc. in its equity investment in Maxwin, which engages in the retail business of casual and sportswear apparel in China
- Advised Youdao, Inc., a subsidiary of NetEase, in its internal restructuring and Series A investment by Mooc-CN Education and Legend Capital.
- Advised CMC Capital Partners in various investments, including Jaunt Inc. (a leading U.S.-cinematic virtual reality company), Yitiao (a Chinese online video content producer and e-commerce start-up), Kuaikan World (a China-based TMT company developing and operating an online comic application platform), and TheBeastShop (a Chinese e-commerce company).
- Advised Johnson Electric in its US$84 million acquisition of a controlling equity stake in Halla Stackpole, a Korean auto parts manufacturer.
- Advised LS-Nikko Copper Inc. in its US$635 million sale of a minority equity stake in Minera Panama S.A. and US$ multi-million exit from a South American mining industry investment.
- Advised LINE Corporation in the establishment of a US$ multi-million cross-border game development joint venture in Hong Kong with a leading Chinese game developer.
- Advised ASM Pacific Technology, a Hong Kong-listed electronics manufacturer, in its acquisition of TEL NEXX Inc.
- Advised Asia-IO Acquisition Fund L.P. in the acquisition of the controlling interest (55.17%) in Daiwa Associate Holdings Limited (1037.HK), a company listed on the Hong Kong Stock Exchange that specializes in electronics component manufacturing and distribution. The transaction triggered an unconditional general offer to the remaining shareholders by Asia-IO Acquisition Fund.
- Advised TPG Capital, and its portfolio company Beaver-Visitec on the acquisition of Malosa Medical, a UK-based medical devices company.
- Advised The Carlyle Group in its purchase of a stake in Metropolis Healthcare Limited, a Mumbai-based chain of pathology laboratories, from Dr. GSK Velu and affiliates.
- Advised a regional private equity fund in its investment in preference shares issued by a garment/textile manufacturing company operating in China, Cambodia and Myanmar.
- Advised a global investment bank in the acquisition of core franchisees of two leading branded quick service restaurant chains operating hundreds of outlets in India and Sri Lanka.
Transactions completed prior to joining Ropes & Gray:
- Represented a leading pan-emerging market private equity house on its equity divestment from an Africa bank.
- Represented EQT on its various acquisitions in China and Europe.
- Represented International Finance Corporation on its equity investment in a leading biopesticides producer in China.
- Represented Beijing Motor on its issuance of 12% of share capital to Daimler and its technology cooperation with Daimler.
- Represented Chinalco, a Chinese state-owned mining conglomerate, on its $19.5bn investment in Rio Tinto and its acquisition of 12% of Rio Tinto.
- Represented Dragone Entertainment on its establishment of various joint ventures with Wanda, a major real estate company in China.