Robb L. Tretter
Robb Tretter advises private investment firms, corporations and financial institutions on mergers and acquisitions, private equity investments, financing arrangements, securities law compliance, corporate governance and general corporate matters in private and public takeovers, investments, restructurings and reorganizations in the U.S. and abroad. Mr. Tretter's practice generally focuses on distressed or special situations.
Mr. Tretter regularly represents clients in asset and stock purchases and sales, often as part of leveraged buyouts, restructurings or recapitalizations. Mr. Tretter’s merger and acquisition experience encompasses hostile takeovers and tender offers involving major multinational corporations. He also counsels senior management and directors regarding takeover preparedness and corporate governance issues. His corporate clients come from diverse industries, including airlines, technology, health care, manufacturing, leisure, chemicals, and financial services. Since 2017, Mr. Tretter has been an adjunct professor at New York University School of Law teaching a course on special situations.
Prior to joining Ropes & Gray Mr. Tretter was a partner at an international law firm based in Houston, Texas. Mr. Tretter began his career at a law firm in New York city.
- Represented a private equity firm in approximately $1.27 billion purchase of distressed credit portfolio of large-bracket investment bank consisting of over 270 instruments across asset types and geographies relating to approximately 170 companies.
- Represented a private equity firm in a multi-million dollar additional preferred equity line commitment to a small cap private equity fund, whose remaining commitments had expired.
- Represented large agricultural cooperative in the sale of its animal feed division and proposed debt restructuring.
- Represented a hedge fund in the sale of two casinos acquired through an out-of-court foreclosure.
- Represented a private equity firm in a structured secondary fund recapitalization transaction.
- Represented a private equity firm in a multi-million dollar minority investment in a company that originates small balance commercial real estate loans.
- Represented a private equity firm in a multi-million dollar minority PIPE investment in a public company that provides durable goods to consumers on a lease-to-own basis.
- Represented an asset manager in a joint venture with a BDC to form a new private equity style fund to lend to middle market companies.
- Represented a private equity firm in a multi-million dollar additional preferred equity line commitment to an investment holding company with a global investment portfolio and offices in the United States, Europe, Africa and Asia.
- Represented a company that is a children’s clothing retailer in private debt repurchases and a debt tender offer at a discount to face value.
- Represented a public company that manufactures, imports and distributes commercial cleaning and storage products in an out-of-court exchange of second lien debt for common equity.
- Represented a private equity firm in the acquisition of an operator and business serving the frail and elderly population.
- Represented a private equity firm in the acquisition of an aircraft charter business.
- Represented a publicly traded homebuilder in $8 billion merger-of-equals with another publicly traded homebuilder.
- Represented creditors in a Mexican concurso restructuring of a hotel company.
- Represented a hedge fund in a joint venture to develop investing opportunities in the Ukraine.
- Represented a hedge fund in a joint venture to develop an offshore LNG liquification facility in the Southern United States.
- Represented a Japanese-based multi-national manufacturer of high-end stereo equipment in out-of-court restructuring with first lien lenders and its private equity sponsor.
- Represented multi-national generic pharmaceutical manufacturer based in Luxembourg and its selling shareholders in sale to a UK-based private equity firm.
- Represented private equity firm in a $600mm 50/50 joint venture with a BDC to provide additional lending capital to the BDC.
- Represented private equity sponsor in out-of-court restructuring of modular homebuilder.
- Represented private equity firm as stalking horse bidder for the assets of a medical practice roll-up under §363 of the Bankruptcy Code.
- Represented selling shareholders and the company in the sale of a satellite and communications provider based in Mexico.
- Represented a financial services company in raising equity growth capital from a private equity firm.
- Represented a publicly traded mechanical engineering firm in its sale to a real estate company through a cash tender offer followed by a short-form merger.
- Represented a real estate firm in its acquisition of the equity interest in the general partner and investment advisor to a private equity fund focused on investing in distressed real estate.
- Represented the buyer in the acquisition of all of the outstanding limited and general partnership interests in a fund-of-funds manager that controls a portfolio of funds and an offer to the limited partners of the funds to purchase their limited partnership interests.
- Represented the board of representatives in the Chapter 11 restructuring of a satellite and communications provider based in Mexico.
- Represented a developer of detection and security solutions in a private equity raise.
- Represented the shareholders of first lien debt in the Chapter 11 restructuring of a land developer.
- Represented holders of second lien debt in the Chapter 11 restructuring of a manufacturer of automotive parts.
- Represented a private equity firm in the acquisition of substantially all of the assets of a leading manufacturer of foam products through a credit bid pursuant to a sale under §363 of the Bankruptcy Code.
- Represented a private equity firm in the multi-million dollar equity investment into a leading homebuilder.
- Represented a private equity firm in the acquisition of a cargo airline serving Latin America.
- Represented a developer of exchange traded funds and related algorithms in a private equity raise.
- Represented the equity sponsor in the acquisition of a passenger and cargo airline by a second passenger and cargo airline.
- Quoted, “Big Banks Shed Loans Under Regulatory, Business Pressure,” Law360 (July 31, 2014)