Robert W. Treut
Rob practices in the intellectual property transactions and life sciences groups at Ropes & Gray, advising biotechnology, pharmaceutical, medical device, and technology companies in strategic transactions including license and collaboration agreements, mergers and acquisitions, supply and distribution arrangements, and other commercial transactions in which intellectual property is a key consideration.
Prior to attending law school, Rob spent several years at ESPN, working on content licensing and strategy as a member of the Programming and Acquisitions department.
- Advised a global pharmaceutical company in an exclusive collaboration with a publicly traded biotechnology company to exclusively co-develop and co-commercialize a clinical stage small molecule inhibitor for the treatment of Parkinson’s Disease. The pharmaceutical company agreed to pay over $550 million in upfront payments, agreed to purchase over $450 million of the biotechnology company’s common stock, may also pay up to $1.125 billion in potential milestone payments, will share costs of development globally as well as profits and losses in certain countries, and received exclusive options and rights of first negotiation with respect to future programs directed towards the treatment of certain neurodegenerative diseases.
- Advised Takeda in a co-development and co-commercialization collaboration and license agreement with Arrowhead Pharmaceuticals worth up to $1 billion to develop ARO-AAT to treat AATLD, a liver disease.
- Represented uniQure N.V. in a $1.6 billion licensing agreement to provide biopharmaceutical company CSL Behring with exclusive global rights to uniQure’s investigational gene therapy for patients with hemophilia B.
- Represented Akebia Therapeutics in connection with its exclusive license agreement with Vifor Pharma Group, pursuant to which Vifor is granted the exclusive right to distribute Akebia’s Phase 3 oral anemia drug vadadustat through its network of U.S. dialysis centers and other approved distribution channels.
- Represented BioCryst Pharmaceuticals, Inc. in the licensing of commercialization rights in Japan for BCX7353, a preventative treatment for hereditary angioedema (HAE) attacks, to Torii Pharmaceutical, Co., a Japanese pharmaceutical company.
- Represented Sarepta Therapeutics Inc. in a collaboration and license agreement with StrideBio Inc., a North Carolina-based biotechnology company, to develop gene therapies for up to eight central nervous system (CNS) and neuromuscular targets.
- Represented a leading biotechnology company in its agreement for exclusive commercialization rights to biosimilars in a number of countries across the globe.
- Represented Sarepta Therapeutics in the negotiation of an exclusive license agreement with Lysogene to develop a gene therapy directed towards the treatment of Mucopolysaccharidosis type IIIA (MPS IIIA), a rare and fatal neurodegenerative disorder for which there are currently no treatment options.
- JD, honors, University of Texas School of Law, 2017
- AB (Economics), Brown University, 2008
Admissions / Qualifications
- Massachusetts, 2017