Krystal A. Vazquez
Krystal Anali Vazquez joined Ropes & Gray’s litigation and enforcement group in 2019. She focuses her practice on governmental and internal investigations, white collar criminal defense, and anti-corruption matters. Her experience includes representing companies in matters involving the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act, government enforcement actions, internal investigations, and complex commercial litigation. Krystal also maintains an active pro bono practice.
During law school, Krystal participated in the Immigrants’ Rights Clinic in addition to providing pro bono assistance for immigrant communities at Catholic Charities and African Services Committee in Manhattan.
Prior to law school, Krystal was a Lannan Fellow at the Lannan Center for Poetics and Social Practice at Georgetown University. At Georgetown, she was awarded the Community Scholars Program Teaching Assistantship and Scholarship, allowing her to serve as teaching assistant for the program where she taught and mentored first-generation college students.
Internal Investigations and Government Enforcement Matters
- Conducted internal investigation of a major South American airline for potential violations of the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act. The SEC closed its investigation without recommending an enforcement action against the Company.
- Conducted internal investigation on behalf of U.S. energy company related to FCPA and anti-money laundering risks in Latin America.
- Assisted team in advising a multinational energy company in response to a DOJ request for information and documents pursuant to a mutual legal assistance treaty (MLAT) with a foreign jurisdiction.
- Participated in legal team advising large public pharmaceutical company in response to SEC subpoena related to potential insider trading.
- Assisted legal team in advising pharmaceutical company on its response to FTC Second Request.
- Part of team advising a major multinational pharmaceutical company in an internal investigation related to COVID-19 vaccine research and development in Latin America.
Anti-Corruption & International Risks Compliance and Diligence
- Conducts due diligence media investigations of target companies in high-risk markets.
- Part of the Ropes & Gray team involved in defending the legality of the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) program.
- Co-Author, “Latin America Overview,” The Practitioner’s Guide to Global Investigations – Seventh Edition (January 4, 2023)
- Co-author, “Building Effective Internal Communication Channels and Adapting Employee Compliance Training,” Latin Lawyer (May 3, 2022)
- Author, “The COVID-19 Landscape in Latin America, Over a Year Later,” Anti-Corruption Report (October 13, 2021)
- JD, Columbia Law School, 2019; Harlan Fiske Stone Scholar; Staff Editor, Columbia Journal of Race and Law
- MA (English), Georgetown University, 2016; Community Scholars Program Teaching Assistantship and Scholarship
- BA (English), summa cum laude, Loyola Marymount University, 2011; Trustee Scholar
Admissions / Qualifications
- New York, 2020
- Columbia LaLSA Alumni Rising Star Award (2023)