Paul F. Van Houten
Paul Van Houten’s practice focuses on representing private equity sponsors in connection with their investments in a wide variety of industries, including technology, retail, consumer products and professional and financial services. In addition to providing transaction related advice to fund sponsors, Paul represents advisors in connection with internal matters and fundraising activities. Paul regularly works with Gridiron Capital, Lineage Capital, TSG Consumer Partners, Mason Wells, Natixis Global Asset Management and Gordon Brothers.
Paul also represents operating companies with a particular focus on investment management and other professional services firms, on a variety of legal matters including corporate governance matters, employment issues and management incentive arrangements and significant corporate transactions, including mergers and acquisitions, divestitures, recapitalizations and refinancings.
Representative Private Equity Transactions
- Represented Gridiron Capital in its acquisition of Dent Wizard.
- Represented TSG Consumer Partners its acquisition of Planet Fitness, an operator of health clubs.
- Represented TSG Consumer Partners in its investment in SweetWater Brewing.
- Represented Mason Wells in its investment in CE Power Solutions.
- Represented TSG Consumer Partners in its sale of Gardein, a provider of protein food products.
- Represented TSG Consumer Partners in its sale of GFA Brands, maker of Smart Balance® and Earth Balance® heart healthy food products and other established brands, to a Special Purpose Acquisition Company (SPAC).
Representative Investment Management Transactions
- Represented 3i Group in its strategic transaction with Fraser Sullivan, a privately owned investment manager.
- Represented Natixis Global Asset Management in connection with its acquisition of McDonnell Investment Management, LLC, a privately owned investment manager.
- Represented Siguler Guff & Co., an alternative investment manager, in connection with the sale of a minority stake to Bank of New York Mellon.
- Represented Lee Munder Capital Group, a privately owned investment manager in connection with its sale to City National Corp.
Representative Other Matters
- Represented Monitor Company Group through multiple restructurings and refinancings, culminating in a successful sale of the business to Deloitte in a 63 bankruptcy sale.
- Represented Gridiron Capital in connection with the raising of Gridiron Capital Fund, L.P., Gridiron Strategic Advisors Fund, L.P., Gridiron Capital Fund II, L.P. and Gridiron Strategic Advisors Fund II, L.P.
- Webinar Presenter, Rep and Warranties Insurance: Future or Fad?
- Webinar Moderator, Anti-Corruption and the FCPA: What Every Sponsor Should Know
- Webinar Moderator, What Private Equity Sponsors Need to Know about D&O Insurance
- Webinar Presenter, Investment Management M&A: Preparing for Opportunities in a Recovering Market
- Presenter at Capital Roundtable Conference on Food & Beverage Mergers and Acquisitions, New York City
- JD, cum laude, Georgetown University Law Center, 1992; Associate Editor of the American Criminal Law Review
- BA, cum laude, Georgetown University, 1988