Vincenzo Volpe joined the London antitrust department as an associate in January 2018. Prior to joining Ropes & Gray, Vincenzo worked as a trainee at the European Commission, DG Competition, and in the Brussels office of a leading international law firm.
Vincenzo advises clients on EU and UK competition and regulatory law matters. He has a broad range of experience, including inquiries and investigations before the EU Commission and UK Competition and Markets Authority as well as advising on mergers and acquisitions. Vincenzo has counselled clients across a variety of industries, including pharmaceuticals, energy, media, aviation and consumer products.
- Advising Acceleron Pharma on its approximately $11.5 billion million sale to Merck
- Represented Sunovion Pharmaceuticals, a subsidiary of Japan’s Sumitomo Dainippon Pharma, in a billion-dollar worldwide co-development and co-commercialization agreement with Otsuka Pharmaceutical Co., Ltd. for four novel neurology drugs
- Advised Takeda Pharmaceutical Company Limited:
- on its acquisition of GammaDelta Therapeutics Limited, a company focused on exploiting the unique properties of gamma delta (γδ) T cells for immunotherapy
- in an exclusive collaboration and license agreement with JCR Pharmaceuticals Co., Ltd. to commercialize JR-141 for the treatment of Hunter syndrome
- Advising Cove Hill Partners on its $500 million sale of LiveAuctioneers to Auction Technology Group
- Represented TPG Inc.:
- on the sale of McAfee Corp’s Consumer business to an investor group for over US$14 billion
- on the sale of McAfee Corp’s Enterprise business to a consortium led by Symphony Technology Group for US$4 billion
- Represented Advent International Corp. in its acquisition of Nielsen’s Global Connect business for US$2.7 billion
- Advised Inflexion, a UK-headquartered private equity firm, and other shareholders (including the management team) on the sale of Reed & Mackay, a premium corporate travel management and events business, to TripActions, a U.S.-headquartered business travel and spend management platform
- Advised Alibaba:
- on the merger control aspects of its strategic partnership with Richemont to bring the retail offerings of YOOX Net-A-Porter Group to Chinese consumers (“TMT Deal of the Year”)
- on its strategic partnership and joint venture (in conjunction with Richemont, the Switzerland-based luxury goods group) with Farfetch Limited, a NYSE-listed leading global online luxury fashion retailer
- Advised Avista Capital Partners:
- on its sale of Acino, a Swiss pharmaceutical company, to ADQ, a Sovereign Wealth Fund located in Abu Dhabi
- on its joint acquisition with VHC Investco of Vision Healthcare, one of Europe’s fastest-growing omni-channel and direct-to-consumer health care companies
- on the antitrust aspects of the sale of Trimb Healthcare to Karo Pharma, cleared subject to divestitures
- Represented Medtronic:
- in its acquisition of Intersect ENT for an approximate value of $1.1 billion
- in its acquisition of Companion Medical, the developer of InPen, a smart insulin pen for the treatment of diabetes
- on its $1.64 billion acquisition of Mazor Robotics Ltd
- on the CMA review of its preferred partnership with Animas Corporation
- Advised Asklepios BioPharmaceutical, a US biopharmaceutical company specialised in the development of gene therapies, on its sale to Bayer AG
- Advised Aimbridge Hospitality, North America’s largest independent hotel management firm and a portfolio company of Advent International, on the antitrust aspects of its merger with Interstate Hotels & Resorts
- Acted for Genstar Capital:
- on the acquisition of Lightspeed Systems, the market leader in online student safety and effectiveness
- on the merger control review of its acquisition of certain assets of Amcor Flexibles
- Represented Charlesbank Capital Partners:
- in the acquisition by its portfolio company Sound United LLC of Bowers & Wilkins, a leading designer and manufacturer of luxury audio products
- in its investment in Park Place Technologies, a leading global third-party maintenance provider, alongside GTCR
- Representation of Wieland-Werke AG in its $1.2 billion acquisition of Global Brass and Copper Holdings, Inc.
- Acted for Baring Private Equity Asia on the European Commission review of its and PAI Partners' acquisition of World Freight Company International
Notable transactions in which Vincenzo has been involved prior to joining the firm include:
- Represented Liberty Media Corporation in national merger control approvals of its acquisition of Formula One.
- Advised Halliburton in seeking to receive EU merger control approval of its US$28 billion proposed acquisition of Baker Hughes.
- Acted for Dresser-Rand in EU and other merger control approvals of its US$7.8 billion merger with Siemens.
- Advised a leading electronic commerce and cloud computing company on the compliance of its business strategy with EU competition law.
- Advised a major airline in the context of state aid litigation before the General Court of the EU.
- Cited, P. Lugard “IP and Antitrust: The Importance of Due Process and the ICC Best Practices,” Competition Policy International, Antitrust Chronicles, Volume 2 (November 2017)
- “Fighting the Challenge of Cross-Border Insolvency at ‘Home’: A Global Approach to the Failure of Multinational Enterprise Groups,” International Corporate Rescue, Volume 10 (2013), Issue 1
- Presenter, “The Grand Project: Reform of the European Insolvency Regulation,” INSOL Europe Academic Forum Annual Conference, Paris, France (25-26 September 2013)
DisclaimerRopes & Gray International LLP is a limited liability partnership registered in Delaware, United States of America and is a recognised body regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority (with registered number 521000).
- LLB, First Class Honours, University of Sussex, 2012
- LLM, University College London, 2013
Admissions / Qualifications
- New York, 2018
- New York State Court of Appeals