Vincenzo Volpe joined the London antitrust department as an associate in January 2018. Prior to joining Ropes & Gray, Vincenzo worked as a trainee at the European Commission, DG Competition, and in the Brussels office of a leading international law firm.
Vincenzo advises clients on EU and UK competition and regulatory law matters. He has a broad range of experience, including inquiries and investigations before the EU Commission and UK Competition and Markets Authority as well as advising on mergers and acquisitions. Vincenzo has counselled clients across a variety of industries, including pharmaceuticals, energy, media, aviation and consumer products.
- Advised Alibaba on its strategic partnership and joint venture (in conjunction with Richemont, the Switzerland-based luxury goods group) with Farfetch Limited, a NYSE-listed leading global online luxury fashion retailer
- Advised Sound United LLC, a portfolio company of Charlesbank Capital Partners, on its acquisition of Bowers & Wilkins, a leading designer and manufacturer of luxury home audio speakers, headphones, custom installation products, wireless speakers, and branded audio systems in the automotive and television market
- Advised Avista Capital Partners on its joint acquisition with VHC Investco of Vision Healthcare, one of Europe’s fastest-growing omni-channel and direct-to-consumer health care companies
- Represented Medtronic in its acquisition of Companion Medical, the developer of InPen, a smart insulin pen for the treatment of diabetes
- Advised Asklepios BioPharmaceutical, a US biopharmaceutical company specialised in the development of gene therapies, on its sale to Bayer AG
- Represented a global pharmaceutical corporation in its acquisition of a clinical-stage biopharmaceutical company developing monoclonal antibodies for the treatment of rare diseases
- Advised Alibaba on the merger control aspects of its strategic partnership with Richemont to bring the retail offerings of YOOX Net-A-Porter Group to Chinese consumers (“TMT Deal of the Year”)
- Advised Aimbridge Hospitality, North America’s largest independent hotel management firm and a portfolio company of Advent International, on the antitrust aspects of its merger with Interstate Hotels & Resorts
- Acted for Genstar Capital on the merger control review of its acquisition of certain assets of Amcor Flexibles
- Represented Charlesbank Capital Partners in its investment in Park Place Technologies, a leading global third-party maintenance provider, alongside GTCR
- Representation of Wieland-Werke AG in its $1.2 billion acquisition of Global Brass and Copper Holdings, Inc.
- Acting for Avista on the antitrust aspects of the sale of Trimb Healthcare to Karo Pharma, cleared subject to divestitures
- Advising Medtronic on its $1.64 billion acquisition of Mazor Robotics Ltd
- Acted for Baring Private Equity Asia on the European Commission review of its and PAI Partners' acquisition of World Freight Company International
- Advising Medtronic on the CMA review of its preferred partnership with Animas Corporation
Notable transactions in which Vincenzo has been involved prior to joining the firm include:
- Represented Liberty Media Corporation in national merger control approvals of its acquisition of Formula One.
- Advised Halliburton in seeking to receive EU merger control approval of its US$28 billion proposed acquisition of Baker Hughes.
- Acted for Dresser-Rand in EU and other merger control approvals of its US$7.8 billion merger with Siemens.
- Advised one of the largest pharmaceuticals companies in relation to its potential exposure to EU and national merger control laws.
- Advised a leading electronic commerce and cloud computing company on the compliance of its business strategy with EU competition law.
- Advised a major airline in the context of state aid litigation before the General Court of the EU.
- Cited, P. Lugard “IP and Antitrust: The Importance of Due Process and the ICC Best Practices,” Competition Policy International, Antitrust Chronicles, Volume 2 (November 2017)
- “Fighting the Challenge of Cross-Border Insolvency at ‘Home’: A Global Approach to the Failure of Multinational Enterprise Groups,” International Corporate Rescue, Volume 10 (2013), Issue 1
- Presenter, “The Grand Project: Reform of the European Insolvency Regulation,” INSOL Europe Academic Forum Annual Conference, Paris, France (25-26 September 2013)
DisclaimerRopes & Gray International LLP is a limited liability partnership registered in Delaware, United States of America and is a recognised body regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority (with registered number 521000).
- LLB, First Class Honours, University of Sussex, 2012
- LLM, University College London, 2013