Boxin Wang is an associate in Ropes & Gray's private equity transaction group and a registered foreign lawyer in the Hong Kong office. Boxin has extensive experience handling private equity and private acquisitions, mergers and acquisitions, anti-trust filings, and China’s outbound investment transactions, representing both private equity firms and public and private companies in both buy-side and sell-side transactions. Boxin also has extensive experience handling foreign direct investment and joint ventures, and general regulatory and compliance work for foreign-invested enterprises in China. Boxin completed a full-year secondment between June 2017 and May 2018 at Alibaba Group Holding Limited, one of the largest TMT companies in China and worldwide.
Boxin passed the PRC Bar Exam.
Before joining Ropes & Gray in 2015, Boxin worked at a reputable Wall Street law firm’s Shanghai, Hong Kong and New York offices for nearly seven years.
- Represented China Oceanwide in connection with its acquisition of International Data Group, Inc.
- Represented a consortium of investors led by GF Investments and including Huarong International, Huarong Rongde, SPDB International, China Everbright, Everbright Securities and CMBC International, in a US$300 million investment in E-Shang Redwood.
- Represented Bain Capital in connection with several transactions in China and Australia.
- Represented Goldman Sachs in its investment in a Chinese pharmaceutical company.
- Represented China Media Capital in connection with several preferred equity minority investment in Chinese targets.
- Advised Baring Private Equity Asia in its acquisition of a 40 percent stake in Weetabix Food Company in UK from Bright Food, a China state-owned food manufacturing company. Nominated for “M&A Deal of the Year” for 2016 by Asian Legal Business.
- Represented TPG in connection with various preferred equity minority investments in Chinese targets.
Transactions completed prior to joining Ropes & Gray:
- Represented a private equity consortium led by FountainVest Partners in connection with the US$4 billion privatization of Focus Media Holding Limited (Nasdaq: FMCN).
- Represented China Life Investment Holding Company Limited in its first ever real estate investment in a residential and office complex in United States.
- Represented OMERS Private Equity in its acquisition of Caliber Collision Centers for US$750 million.
- Represented AEA Investors in several acquisitions, including its acquisition of Gypsum Management and Supply, Inc. for US$750 million.
- Represented a leading global pharmaceutical company in the carve-out sale of its consumer care business for US$14.2 billion, and its proposed acquisition of another major pharmaceutical company’s animal health business for US$4 billion.
- Represented a leading global private equity firm in its rescue investment of US$680 million in one of North America’s largest producers of sand and resin coated proppants.
- “Mounting Uncertainties for Chinese Outbound Investments in the U.S.,” Ropes Mergers & Acquisitions Law News (June 2016)
- “Major Revisions to China Foreign Investment Regulatory Regime,” Ropes Mergers & Acquisitions Law News (June 2016)
- Co-author, “China Securities Regulatory Commission Releases Private Fund Administration Rules,” Hong Kong Lawyer (October 2014)
- Co-author, “Foreign Investment in China,” Fried, Frank, Harris, Shriver & Jacobson client book (April 2008)