Boxin Wang is an associate in Ropes & Gray's private equity transaction group in the Hong Kong office. Boxin has extensive experience handling private equity and private acquisitions, mergers and acquisitions, anti-trust filings and China’s outbound investment transactions, representing both private equity firms and public and private companies in both buy-side and sell-side transactions. He also has extensive experience handling foreign direct investment and joint ventures, and general regulatory and compliance work for foreign-invested enterprises in China, and matters relating to the Committee on Foreign Investment in the United States.
Boxin passed the PRC Bar Exam. He completed a full-year secondment between June 2017 and May 2018 at Alibaba Group Holding Limited.
- Represented MBK Partners in its sale of Apex Logistics to Kuehne+Nagel (SIX: KNIN) for approximately US$1.5 billion through a competitive auction process.
- Represented Alibaba in numerous acquisition and investment transactions, including its strategic partnership with Richemont and joint venture with YOOX Net-A-Porter Group and its PIPE investment in Qutoutiao (NASDAQ: QTT).
- Represented Bain Capital in connection with several transactions in China, Korea and Australia including its acquisition of World Wide Packaging and US$800+ million acquisition of a controlling stake in Hugel Inc.
- Represented Vivo Capital in the US$400 million consortium PIPE investment in Sinovac Biotech Ltd.
- Represented China Oceanwide in connection with its acquisition of International Data Group, Inc.
- Represented a consortium of investors led by GF Investments and including Huarong International, Huarong Rongde, SPDB International, China Everbright, Everbright Securities and CMBC International, in a US$300 million investment in e-Shang Redwood.
- Represented China Media Capital in connection with several preferred equity minority investments in Chinese targets.
- Represented Baring Private Equity Asia in its acquisition of a 40 percent stake in Weetabix Food Company in UK from Bright Food, a China state-owned food manufacturing company.
- Represented TPG in connection with various preferred equity minority investments in Chinese targets.
- Co-author, “Comparing China’s New Measures on National Security Review of Foreign Investments with the U.S. CFIUS Review Process,,” Ropes & Gray Alert (January 2021)
- “The Merger of Chinese Antitrust Agencies,” Ropes Mergers & Acquisitions Law News (Q2 2018)
- “Mounting Uncertainties for Chinese Outbound Investments in the U.S.,” Ropes Mergers & Acquisitions Law News (June 2016)
- “Major Revisions to China Foreign Investment Regulatory Regime,” Ropes Mergers & Acquisitions Law News (June 2016)
- Co-author, “China Securities Regulatory Commission Releases Private Fund Administration Rules,” Hong Kong Lawyer (October 2014)
- Co-author, “Foreign Investment in China,” Fried, Frank, Harris, Shriver & Jacobson client book (April 2008)
- LLM, Columbia University School of Law, 2013
- Master of Laws, Fudan University School of Law, 2007
- BA, Fudan University School of Philosophy, 2004
Admissions / Qualifications
- Hong Kong, Solicitor, 2021
- New York, 2014