Boxin Wang is counsel in Ropes & Gray's private equity transaction group in the Hong Kong office. Boxin has extensive experience handling private equity and private acquisitions, mergers and acquisitions, anti-trust filings and China’s outbound investment transactions, representing both private equity firms and public and private companies in both buy-side and sell-side transactions. He also has extensive experience handling foreign direct investment and joint ventures, and general regulatory and compliance work for foreign-invested enterprises in China, and matters relating to the Committee on Foreign Investment in the United States. Boxin also advises clients on issues related to blockchain, cryptocurrency and non-fungible tokens (NFTs).
Boxin passed the PRC Bar Exam. He completed a full-year secondment between June 2017 and May 2018 at Alibaba Group Holding Limited.
- Represented MBK Partners in connection with its sale of Apex Logistics to Kuehne+Nagel (SIX: KNIN) for approximately US$1.5 billion through a competitive auction process.
- Represented Baring Private Equity Asia in connection with several transactions, including its acquisition of a 40 percent stake in Weetabix Food Company in the UK from Bright Food, a China state-owned food manufacturing company; its partial sale of a global integrated manufacturer and its recent investment in a global vision technology company backed by Hillhouse.
- Represented a leading global asset manager in connection with its and Baring Private Equity Asia’s US$4.3 billion consortium privatization of Nord Anglia Education.
- Represented Bain Capital in connection with several transactions in China, South Korea and Australia including its acquisition of World Wide Packaging and US$800+ million acquisition of a controlling stake in Hugel Inc.
- Represented TPG in connection with various investments in and exits from Chinese targets.
- Represented Ares SSG in connection with various investments and transactions in Asia.
- Represented Vivo Capital in connection with various investments in Chinese life sciences companies, including its US$400 million consortium PIPE investment in Sinovac Biotech Ltd.
- Represented Alibaba in numerous strategic acquisition and investment transactions, including its strategic partnership with Richemont and joint venture with YOOX Net-A-Porter Group and its PIPE investment in Qutoutiao (NASDAQ: QTT).
- Represented DiDi Autonomous Driving business unit’s multiple-rounds equity financings of more than US$1 billion.
- Represented NetEase Cloud Music’s multiple-rounds equity financings of more than US$1.5 billion
- Represented a consortium of investors led by GF Investments and including Huarong International, Huarong Rongde, SPDB International, China Everbright, Everbright Securities and CMBC International, in a US$300 million investment in e-Shang Redwood.
- Represented China Oceanwide in connection with its acquisition of International Data Group, Inc.
Transactions completed prior to joining Ropes & Gray:
- Represented a private equity consortium led by FountainVest Partners in connection with the US$4 billion privatization of Focus Media Holding Limited (Nasdaq: FMCN).
- Represented China Life Investment Holding Company Limited in its first ever real estate investment in a residential and office complex in United States.
- Represented OMERS Private Equity in its acquisition of Caliber Collision Centers for US$750 million.
- Represented AEA Investors in several acquisitions, including its acquisition of Gypsum Management and Supply, Inc. for US$750 million.
- Represented a leading global pharmaceutical company in the carve-out sale of its consumer care business for US$14.2 billion, and its proposed acquisition of another major pharmaceutical company’s animal health business for US$4 billion.
- Represented a leading global private equity firm in its rescue investment of US$680 million in one of North America’s largest producers of sand and resin coated proppants.
- Noted, “Ropes & Gray Announces Promotions in Asia,” Finance Asia (November 22, 2022)
- Co-author, “China Plans Cybersecurity Review for Tech Companies Listing Abroad,” Ropes & Gray Alert (July 2021)
- Co-author, “Comparing China’s New Measures on National Security Review of Foreign Investments with the U.S. CFIUS Review Process,” Ropes & Gray Alert (January 2021)
- “The Merger of Chinese Antitrust Agencies,” Ropes Mergers & Acquisitions Law News (Q2 2018)
- “Mounting Uncertainties for Chinese Outbound Investments in the U.S.,” Ropes Mergers & Acquisitions Law News (June 2016)
- “Major Revisions to China Foreign Investment Regulatory Regime,” Ropes Mergers & Acquisitions Law News (June 2016)
- Co-author, “China Securities Regulatory Commission Releases Private Fund Administration Rules,” Hong Kong Lawyer (October 2014)
- Co-author, “Foreign Investment in China,” Fried, Frank, Harris, Shriver & Jacobson client book (April 2008)
- LLM, Columbia University School of Law, 2013
- Master of Laws, Fudan University School of Law, 2007
- BA, Fudan University School of Philosophy, 2004
Admissions / Qualifications
- Hong Kong, Solicitor, 2021
- New York, 2014