Christian J. Westra
Christian Westra is a partner in the firm’s private equity transactions group. He represents private equity firms and institutional investors in mergers and acquisitions, leveraged buyouts and other investments. Christian regularly advises private equity sponsors and their portfolio companies on add-on acquisitions, dispositions and general corporate governance matters. His practice also encompasses advising clients on global natural resource acquisitions and dispositions.
Christian’s clients include Advent International, Berkshire Partners, Summit Partners and Thomas H. Lee Partners.
Prior to joining the firm, Christian worked as a management consultant with the Monitor Group and served as a Rosenthal Fellow in the Office for European and NATO Policy at the Pentagon.
In response to the COVID-19 pandemic, Christian helped found the COVID Relief Coalition, a private and public sector partnership that has helped nonprofits and small businesses in the greater Boston area obtain legal and financial support to navigate the economic downturn prompted by COVID-19.
- Represented Advent International in its:
- acquisition of AccentCare, a leader in post-acute healthcare, from Oak Hill Capital Partners
- acquisition of a majority equity stake in Walmart Brazil
- acquisition of Ansira Partners, a leading technology-enabled marketing solutions provider, from KRG Capital Partners
- acquisition by Ansira Partners of various digital marketing companies
- Represented Berkshire Partners in its:
- sale of Lightower, a leading provider of fiber solutions, to Crown Castle International Corp. for approximately US$7.1 billion in cash
- sale of Tower Development Corporation, a developer of wireless communication infrastructure, to Crown Castle International Corp.
- acquisition of Masergy, the owner and operator of one of the largest independent software-defined networking platforms in the world, from ABRY Partners
- acquisition of Affordable Care, Inc., a leading dental support organization for affiliated dental practices, from American Capital Equity
- acquisition by Affordable Care, Inc. of DDS Dentures + Implant Solutions, a dental practice management company
- acquisition of Implus Corporation, a leading provider of consumer products in the accessories marketplace, from Trilantic North America
- acquisition of Curriculum Associates, a leading provider of K-12 education assessment and instructional materials
- Represented Advent International, Berkshire Partners and Bain Capital in their:
- take-private acquisition of Skillsoft, an e-learning company, for US$1.2 billion
- acquisition by Skillsoft of MindLeaders, an e-learning company
- sale of Skillsoft to Charterhouse Capital
- Represented Summit Partners in its:
- sale of ABILITY Network, a provider of web-based work-flow solutions for the healthcare industry, to Inovalon for US$1.2 billion in cash and restricted stock
- Represented Thomas H. Lee Partners in its:
- take-private acquisition of inVentiv Health, a pharmaceutical services provider, for US$1.1 billion
- acquisition by inVentiv Health of the clinical development business i3 from Ingenix, a UnitedHealth Group company
- acquisition of Curo Health Services, a hospice care provider
- Represented TPG Capital in its:
- take-private acquisition of Par Pharmaceutical Companies, Inc., a generic pharmaceutical company, for US$1.9 billion
- take-private acquisition of Arden Group, Inc., the parent of Gelson’s Markets, an operator of specialty grocery stores in Southern California, for US$394 million
- acquisition by Gelson’s Markets of certain Haggen, Inc. grocery stores as part of a Chapter 11 bankruptcy sale
- Represented State Street Corporation in its:
- acquisition of GE Asset Management, a global asset manager with more than US$110 billion in assets under management, from General Electric Company
- sale of its equity stake in Boston Financial Data Services, Inc.
- sale of its equity stake in International Financial Data Services Limited
- Represented Café Rio Holding, Inc., a restaurant chain specializing in Mexican cuisine and a portfolio company of affiliates of KarpReilly, LLC and Apax Partners, L.P., in the acquisition by Freeman Spogli & Co. of a majority interest in Café Rio Holding, Inc.
- Represented the special committee of independent directors of Ness Technologies in its sale of Ness Technologies to Citi Venture Capital, for US$337 million
- Represented a leading institutional investor with respect to acquisitions and dispositions of assets in its global natural resources portfolio
- Featured, “Tocqueville Member Profile: Jim and Christian Westra,” United Way (February 21, 2019)
- Co-Author, “Ancestry.com price was fair, despite challenge from appraisal arbitrage investors,” International Law Office (May 20, 2015)
- Peter Welsh, Christian Westra and Sarah Dunn Davis, “Court rules on failure to include management presentations in proxy statement,” International Law Office’s Corporate/M&A Newsletter (December 17, 2014)
- Jane Goldstein, Christian Westra and Justin Voeks, “Despite favourable ruling, Sotheby's settles with activist investor,” International Law Office’s Corporate/M&A Newsletter (September 3, 2014)
- James T. Lidbury, C. Thomas Brown and Christian J. Westra, “Additional guidance on Kahn v M&F Worldwide Corp,” International Law Office (ILO) (2014)
- James T. Lidbury and Christian J. Westra, “The limits of Revlon,” International Law Office (ILO) (2013)
- “The April 2007 U.S.-EU 'Open Skies' Agreement: A Dream of Liberalization Deferred,” 32 Boston College International & Comparative Law Review 161 (2009)
- “Will the "Bush Doctrine" Survive its Progenitor? An Assessment of Jus ad Bellum Norms for the Post-Westphalian Age,” 32 Boston College International & Comparative Law Review 399 (2009)
- JD, cum laude, Boston College Law School, 2009; M.A.L.D., Fletcher School of Law & Diplomacy
- MPhil, Cambridge University, 2002
- AB, magna cum laude, Harvard College, 2001