Christian J. Westra
Christian Westra’s practice focuses on representing private equity firms and public and private companies in mergers and acquisitions, leveraged buyouts and other investments. Christian regularly advises private equity sponsors and their portfolio companies on add-on acquisitions, dispositions and general corporate governance matters.
Christian’s clients include Advent International, Berkshire Partners, Summit Partners, Thomas H. Lee Partners and TPG Capital.
Christian is a member of the firm’s Associates Liaison Committee.
Prior to joining the firm, Christian worked as a management consultant with the Monitor Group and served as a Rosenthal Fellow in the Office for European and NATO Policy at the Pentagon.
- Represented Berkshire Partners in the sale of Lightower, a leading provider of fiber solutions, to Crown Castle International Corp. for approximately $7.1 billion in cash.
- Represented Berkshire Partners in its acquisition of Curriculum Associates, a leading provider of K-12 education assessment and instructional materials.
- Represented Advent International in its acquisition of a majority stake in Ansira Partners, a leading data-driven, technology-enabled marketing solutions provider, from KRG Capital Partners; represented Advent International and Ansira Partners in the acquisition by Ansira Partners of LBN Partners, LLC, an all-in-one local digital marketing platform.
- Represented Café Rio Holding, Inc., a restaurant chain specializing in Mexican cuisine and a portfolio company of affiliates of KarpReilly, LLC and Apax Partners, L.P., in the acquisition by Freeman Spogli & Co. of a majority interest in Café Rio Holding, Inc.
- Represented Berkshire Partners in its acquisition of Masergy, the owner and operator of one of the largest independent software defined networking platforms in the world, from ABRY Partners.
- Represented State Street Corporation in its acquisition of GE Asset Management, a global asset manager with more than $110 billion in assets under management, from General Electric Company, and the sale of its equity stakes in Boston Financial Data Services, Inc. and International Financial Data Services Limited.
- Represented Berkshire Partners in the sale of Tower Development Corporation, a developer of wireless communications infrastructure, to Crown Castle International Corp. for approximately $461 million.
- Represented Berkshire Partners in its acquisition of Affordable Care, Inc., the leading dental support organization for affiliated dental practices that focus exclusively on tooth replacement services, from American Capital Equity.
- Represented Berkshire Partners in its acquisition of Implus Corporation, a leading provider of consumer products in the accessories marketplace, from Trilantic North America.
- Represented Thomas H. Lee Partners in its acquisition of Curo Health Services, a hospice care provider.
- Represented Berkshire Partners, Advent International and Bain Capital in the sale of Skillsoft, an e-learning company, to Charterhouse Capital.
- Represented TPG Capital in its $394 million acquisition of Arden Group, Inc., the parent of Gelson’s Markets, an operator of specialty grocery stores in Southern California; represented Gelson’s Markets in its subsequent acquisition of certain Haggen, Inc. grocery stores as part of a Chapter 11 bankruptcy sale.
- Represented TPG Capital in its $1.9 billion acquisition of Par Pharmaceutical Companies, Inc., a generic pharmaceutical company.
- Represented Advent International in connection with a $930 million secondary public offering by Advent International and Fifth Third Bank of Vantiv, Inc. Class A common stock.
- Represented Skillsoft in its acquisition of MindLeaders, an e-learning company.
- Represented inVentiv Health in its acquisition of the clinical development business i3 from Ingenix, a UnitedHealth Group company.
- Represented special committee of independent directors of Ness Technologies, an information technology company, throughout its strategic review process, culminating in the $337 million sale of Ness Technologies to Citi Venture Capital.
- Represented Thomas H. Lee Partners in its $1.1 billion acquisition of inVentiv Health, a pharmaceutical services provider.
- Represented Berkshire Partners, Advent International and Bain Capital in their $1.2 billion acquisition of Skillsoft.
- Co-Author, “Ancestry.com price was fair, despite challenge from appraisal arbitrage investors,” International Law Office (May 20, 2015)
- Peter Welsh, Christian Westra and Sarah Dunn Davis, “Court rules on failure to include management presentations in proxy statement,” International Law Office’s Corporate/M&A Newsletter (December 17, 2014)
- Jane Goldstein, Christian Westra and Justin Voeks, “Despite favourable ruling, Sotheby's settles with activist investor,” International Law Office’s Corporate/M&A Newsletter (September 3, 2014)
- James T. Lidbury, C. Thomas Brown and Christian J. Westra, “Additional guidance on Kahn v M&F Worldwide Corp,” International Law Office (ILO) (2014)
- James T. Lidbury and Christian J. Westra, “The limits of Revlon,” International Law Office (ILO) (2013)
- “The April 2007 U.S.-EU 'Open Skies' Agreement: A Dream of Liberalization Deferred,” 32 Boston College International & Comparative Law Review 161 (2009)
- “Will the "Bush Doctrine" Survive its Progenitor? An Assessment of Jus ad Bellum Norms for the Post-Westphalian Age,” 32 Boston College International & Comparative Law Review 399 (2009)