Eric Y. Wu
Eric Wu is a partner in Ropes & Gray's life sciences group. He advises clients on cross-border mergers and acquisitions, private equity and growth equity investments, capital markets transactions and general corporate matters involving investors and life sciences companies with business interests in China. Recently Eric has been counseling clients on these issues in the context of the COVID-19 outbreak.
Eric has advised on mid-market and large-cap transactions with regional and global biotechnology, pharmaceutical, medical device and consumer health care companies that are engaged in medical optics, allergy, dermatology and surgical robotics businesses, among others.
Eric rejoins Ropes & Gray from Johnson & Johnson, where he served as Asia Pacific M&A Regional Counsel and head of legal for the company’s Asia Pacific Innovation Center. Prior to joining Johnson & Johnson, he was a senior associate at Ropes & Gray and previously also worked in the Shanghai and Boston offices of other leading global law firms.
- Advised Shanghai-based biotechnology start-up LianBio, a newly founded company launched by life sciences investment firm Perceptive Advisors, in its strategic collaboration with two California-based biotechnology companies, MyoKardia and BridgeBio Pharma, to expand their reach into China.
- Advised numerous life sciences and related companies in their mergers and acquisitions, financing and strategic transactions in China, including Takeda, Mersana Therapeutics, Viela Bio, TriArm Therapeutics, Tactiva Therapeutics, Profex, JHL Biotech, and Genetron Health.
- Advised Perceptive Advisors, TPG, KKR, Bain, Temasek, Baring Private Equity, Panacea Venture, CDIB Capital Group, Kleiner Perkins, Vivo Capital, Essex Healthcare, Sequoia, WI Harper in their respective investments and strategic transactions in China and the Asia Pacific region.
- Profiled, “Health Hires: Ropes & Gray” Law360 (November 16, 2018)
- Profiled, “Johnson & Johnson counsel rejoins Ropes & Gray in Shanghai” Asian Legal Business (November 16, 2018)
- Profiled, “Johnson & Johnson Counsel Re-Joins Ropes & Gray” Intellectual Property Magazine (November 16, 2018)
- Profiled, “Johnson & Johnson Asia Pacific Regional Counsel Eric Wu (’06) Returns to Ropes & Gray in Shanghai,” Boston University School of Law Alumni News (November 13, 2018)
- Cited, “Management tracks,” Biocentury (November 13, 2018)
- Profiled, “Ropes & Gray Hires Life Science Partner in Shanghai From Johnson & Johnson,” The Asian Lawyer and The American Lawyer (November 13, 2018)
- Profiled, “Ropes & Gray hires from Johnson & Johnson in Shanghai,” Getting the Deal Through – Pharma Law News (November 13, 2018)
- Profiled, “Ropes & Gray lawyer returns from senior APAC in-house role,” Australasian Lawyer (November 13, 2018)
- Profiled, “A Better Tomorrow: Eric Wu of Johnson & Johnson APAC on the Future of Healthcare,” Association of Corporate Counsel’s Docket (November 1, 2017)
- JD, Boston University School of Law, 2006
- BSFS, Georgetown University, Edmund A. Walsh School of Foreign Service, 2001