Juma Weeks joined the data practice group of Ropes & Gray’s London office as an associate in 2018. Before joining the firm, Juma spent nine years in the media and technology team of a top tier international law firm advising on a variety of commercial, intellectual property, data and technology related matters, particularly in the media and technology sectors.
Juma has acted for a number of leading corporates, disrupters, creatives and start-ups. He has extensive knowledge of the consumer brands, digital platforms, technology and media sectors and helps clients to navigate complex compliance and commercial issues.
Juma has particular experience supporting clients with commercial contracts and compliance aspects of digital transformation projects, including innovative product launches and roll-outs, app development and licensing, cloud-based outsourcing arrangements and technology transactions. He also regularly advises on the laws relating to the use, protection and exploitation of data, particularly in the context of e-commerce and digital platforms, including European GDPR compliance, security breaches, adtech and issues surrounding data commercialisation. In addition to his technology and data work, he also advises clients on general commercial matters, such as distribution, licensing, franchising and e-commerce law.
Juma is the European editor of one of the leading text books on e-commerce, technology and internet law, "International Computer and Internet Contracts and Law."
- Advised Integrated Media Company (IMC), a TPG platform dedicated to the new media ecosystem, on the acquisition of a majority stake in Goal from the DAZN Group
- Advised China’s largest e-commerce platform on the technology, IP and licensing aspects of its joint venture with the world’s leading online luxury fashion retailer, YOOX Net-A-Porter Group
- Advised a U.S.-based charitable health care research centre on its affiliation with a world-renowned university to establish a transatlantic research centre focusing on improving the treatment options globally for patients with rare diseases and a UK-wide drug discovery and development programme funded through charitable grants
- Advising a multinational telecoms and mass media group on IP aspects of its US$3.7 billion acquisition of Sotheby's, one of the world’s largest auction houses
Notable transactions in which Juma has been involved prior to joining the firm include:
- Advised the world’s largest retailer on all aspects of its e-commerce operations in the UK, including on the introduction of new consumer protection rules, advertising law, the roll-out of a mobile website and app and pan-European data privacy compliance project
- Advised a U.S.-based tech giant on potential liability under the GDPR, including issues relating to adtech and profiling
- Advised the industry-leading food delivery app on the procurement of technology services, contractual arrangements with its riders and restaurants and data privacy compliance
- Advising a leading security company on a request by MI5 for access to data and trade secrets concerning the security systems at a diplomatic residence under national security and data protection laws
- Advised a Silicon Valley-based start-up on data privacy laws in the UK and EU and on how to comply with disclosure requests for customer data made by law enforcement agencies
- Advised the UK division of a Japanese digital imaging company on a on a strategic multi-million pound contract with a London Stock Exchange-listed operator of digital printing kiosks in respect of the supply of digital photography technology for over 190 laboratories
- Advised a world-leading interactive learning technology provider on its commercial arrangements with distributors in Europe, Australia, New Zealand and the US
- Advised a well-known brand on the acquisition and deployment of cutting-edge integrated "big data" technologies
- Advised a Middle Eastern flag-carrying airline on its European data privacy compliance project and marketing practices under PECR
- Advised a leading German car manufacturer on the outsourcing of its enterprise, resource and planning technology
- Advised a multinational defence and aerospace company on a data breach in the UK
- Advised an EU institution on the legal and practical issues surrounding the use of big data
- Contributor and European Editor, “International Computer and Internet Contracts and Law,” by Michele Rennie (January 2018)
- Co-author, “Microsoft Seeks To Reinforce Customer Trust In The Cloud,” E-Commerce Law (May 2016)
- Co-author, “The Move To Mobile: An Overview Of The Key Mobile Payment Technologies And The Challenge Of Risk Management,” Financier Worldwide (April 2014)
DisclaimerRopes & Gray International LLP is a limited liability partnership registered in Delaware, United States of America and is a recognised body regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority (with registered number 521000).
- LLB (Law), First Class, University of Reading, 2007
- LPC, Distinction, Bristol Institute of Legal Practice, University of the West of England, 2008