Juma Weeks joined the privacy & cybersecurity group of Ropes & Gray’s London office as an associate in 2018. Before joining the firm, Juma spent nine years at a top tier international law firm advising on a variety of commercial, intellectual property, data protection and technology related matters.
Juma has acted for number of leading corporates and start-ups across the technology, finance, retail, healthcare and real estate sectors. He has experience dealing with a wide range of complex technology work, including the development and licensing of software, cyber security, cloud-based outsourcing arrangements and technology transactions. He also regularly advises on the laws relating to the use, protection and exploitation of data, including European GDPR compliance, security breaches and issues surrounding data commercialisation. In addition to his technology and data work, he also advises clients on general commercial matters, such as distribution, licensing and franchising agreements and e-commerce law.
Juma is the European editor of one of the leading text books on e-commerce, technology and internet law, "International Computer and Internet Contracts and Law."
- Advised a U.S.-based charitable health care research centre on its affiliation with a UK-based world-renowned academic institution to establish a transatlantic research centre focusing on improving the treatment options globally for patients with rare diseases and a UK-wide drug discovery and development programme funded through charitable grants
- Advised a multinational conglomerate on the technology, IP and licensing aspects of its strategic partnership with Richemont and joint venture with YOOX Net-A-Porter Group
- Advised a global life sciences company on the enforceability of contractual limitations, exclusions and liability provisions in sale of goods contracts under English law and coordinated similar advice from six European jurisdictions
Notable transactions in which Juma has been involved prior to joining the firm include:
- Advised one of the UK’s largest master-trust pension providers on its multi-million pound strategic procurement of a business critical cloud-based pension administration IT platform with two leading IT service providers
- Advised a leading UK corporation on a on a strategic multi-million pound contract with an London Stock Exchange-listed operator of digital printing kiosks in respect of the supply of digital photography hardware for over 190 laboratories
- Advised a leading German car manufacturer on the outsourcing of its enterprise, resource and planning system
- Advised one of the world’s largest brick-and-mortar retailers on its EU-wide GDPR compliance project
- Advised a U.S.-based software giant and cloud service provider on potential liability under the GDPR as a cloud service provider and online behavioural marketing company (i.e. adtech and profiling)
- Advised a large student accommodation developer on its EU-wide data protection audit and preparation for GDPR
- Advised a large shopping centre owner on the acquisition and deployment of cutting-edge integrated "big data" technologies in a well-known shopping centre
- Advised a multinational defence and aerospace company on a data breach in the UK
- Advised a global merchant payment company on its compliance with the GDPR with regard to the transfer of customer cardholder data received from global banks to countries outside of the EEA
- Advised a Silicon Valley-based payment processing company on data privacy laws in the UK and EU and on how to comply with disclosure requests for customer data made by law enforcement agencies
- Advised a Middle Eastern flag carrying airline on its data protection and IT policies, its European data protection compliance project and direct marketing practices under PECR
- Advised a UK financial services company on the impact of the Google "right to be forgotten" case and making “right to be forgotten” requests to the major search engines
- Advised an EU institution on the legal and practical issues surrounding the use of big data sources in the field of statistics.
- Advised a world-leading interactive learning technology provider on its commercial arrangements with distributors in Europe, Australia, New Zealand and the US
- Advised one of the world’s largest brick-and-mortar retailers on all aspects of its e-commerce operations in the UK, including advising on the introduction of new consumer protection rules, advertising law, the roll-out of a mobile website and app and its online terms of sale.
- Contributor and European Editor, “International Computer and Internet Contracts and Law,” by Michele Rennie (January 2018)
- Co-author, “Microsoft Seeks To Reinforce Customer Trust In The Cloud,” E-Commerce Law (May 2016)
- Co-author, “The Move To Mobile: An Overview Of The Key Mobile Payment Technologies And The Challenge Of Risk Management,” Financier Worldwide (April 2014)