Patrick focuses on white-collar criminal defense and governmental investigations. He has represented companies under investigation by the Department of Justice, the Securities and Exchange Commission, Congress, and other federal and state authorities. He has extensive experience advising clients in the pharmaceutical, medical device, and energy sectors on compliance with the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act, the Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act, the Anti-Kickback Statute, the False Claims Act, and state consumer protection laws.
Patrick’s pro bono practice has included the representation of individuals in federal immigration court, a non-profit organization in a challenge to a state agency’s interpretation of an environmental statute, and an individual in a civil rights action against a municipal agency.
- Representing biotechnology company in investigation by Department of Justice and Securities and Exchange Commission.
- Conducted internal investigations on behalf of client involving allegations of bribery and violations of company policy in Jordan, Lebanon, Iraq, the UAE, and Kuwait.
- Assisted an energy company with the creation and implementation of a global anti‐corruption program. Conducted interviews and due diligence on potential joint venture partners and agents in countries throughout Asia, Africa and the Middle East.
- Represented a medical device company and a major pharmaceutical company in separate resolutions of federal criminal investigations involving violations of the Food, Drug and Cosmetic Act.
- Conducted an internal investigation into allegations of research misconduct for a Fortune 500 pharmaceutical company. Conducted numerous interviews and coordinated a large, multidisciplinary team. At the completion of the investigation, assisted the client with the implementation of discipline decisions and the improvement of internal controls.
- Conducted internal investigations for a U.S.‐based multinational medical device company involving anti-corruption issues in several Latin American countries. Advised client on implementation of compliance policies in response to investigative findings
- Represented a diagnostic laboratory in a federal investigation concerning the marketing and billing of the lab’s services, including alleged anti-kickback and false claims act violations.
- Represented pharmaceutical company in negotiations with a coalition of States Attorneys’ General investigating allegations of promotional misconduct.
- Author, “The COVID-19 Landscape in Latin America, Over a Year Later,” Anti-Corruption Report (October 13, 2021)
- Co-author, “Mexico Corruption Fight: All Rhetoric?” LatinVex (July 21, 2021)
- Co-author, “FCPA to Remain Enforcement Priority Under New Administration Against Backdrop of COVID-19,” Ropes & Gray Alert (March 18, 2021)
- Co-author, “Investing in Africa: Mitigating Fraud and Corruption Risks,” Into Africa (September 2019)
- Co-author, “Management Projections in Delaware Appraisal Litigation: Anecdotal Evidence,” Insights: The Corporate & Securities Law Advisor (October 2017)
- Co-author, “Managing Corruption Risk In Cash-Centric Economies,” Bloomberg BNA’s Corporate Law & Accountability Report (April 2017)
- Co-author, “Navigating Anticorruption in Latin America,” Bloomberg BNA Corporate Law & Accountability Report (July 8, 2016)
- Co-author, “Personal Security Affects Anti-Corruption Compliance,” Law360 (Sept. 2, 2015)
- Co-author, “What The 'Caldwell Doctrine' Means For FCPA Enforcement,” Law360 (Nov. 6, 2014)
- Co-author, “Minimising Corruption Risks in African Investment Opportunities,” Financier Worldwide (July 2014)
- Co-author, “Court Issues Rare Guidance When State-Owned Enterprises are “Instrumentalities” of Foreign Governments,” Bloomberg BNA Corporate Law & Accountability Report (June 6, 2014)
- Co-author, “Investment Opportunities, Corruption Risks In Nigeria,” Law360 (May 12, 2014)
- Co-author, “The False Claims Act: Practical Tips for Responding to a FCA-Driven Investigation and the Impact of Recent Developments in the Law,” Litigation Strategies for Government Contracts, 2014 ed.: Leading Lawyers on Understanding the False Claims Act, Filing Bid Protests, and Working with Government Agencies, Inside the Minds series, (Nov.2013)
- Co-panelist, “COVID-19 Landscape of Latin America, One Year Later,” Cafecito con Ropes & Gray Virtual Roundtable Series (May 26, 2021)
- JD, with Highest Honors, The George Washington University Law School, 2008; Order of the Coif; Member, The George Washington University Law Review
- AB, Bowdoin College, 2003
Admissions / Qualifications
- Massachusetts, 2008
- U.S. District Court for the District of Massachusetts
- LMG Life Sciences Americas Awards “Impact Deal of the Year” for advising Pfizer in $11.6 billion acquisition of Biohaven Pharmaceuticals (2022)
- Massachusetts Super Lawyers Rising Star (2016-2018)