Tom Wechsler is counsel in the real estate investments & transactions group. Tom has a broad range of real estate transactional experience including acquisitions and dispositions, joint ventures, mortgage, mezzanine and construction financings, recapitalizations, preferred equity and leasing including complex sale-leasebacks and other net lease transactions.
Prior to joining Ropes & Gray, Tom was an associate in the New York office of an international law firm and was Associate General Counsel at a real estate investment and development company in New York. Tom was named one of The Best Lawyers in America’s “Ones to Watch” in 2023.
- Represented several private equity funds and operating companies on single-asset and portfolio sale-leaseback and other net lease transactions both domestically and cross-border involving industrial, manufacturing, retail, office and healthcare assets.
- Represented a capital partner in a joint venture to develop a luxury condominium building in lower Manhattan including the approximately $350 million land acquisition and pre-development loan for the project.
- Represented a global asset manager in the recapitalization of approximately $700 million of industrial and logistics real estate assets located throughout the United States.
- Represented BidFair on its $3.7 billion acquisition of Sotheby’s, including the mortgage and mezzanine financing of Sotheby’s U.S. headquarters in Manhattan.
- Represented Advent International in connection with its majority investment in Aimbridge Hospitality and subsequent merger with Interstate Hotels & Resorts, which created a combined company managing a portfolio of more than 1,400 branded and independent hotels.
- Represented an international private bank in connection with a $200 million co-investment in a qualified opportunity zone fund for the development of a mixed-use project located in Brooklyn, New York comprised of 360,000 square feet of office and retail space.
- Represented a New York-based investment firm in the formation of a joint venture to acquire marina properties, subsequent third party investments in the joint venture and the REIT share sale of the platform to a public REIT.
- Represented TPG Capital in connection with its $280 million acquisition, financing and restructuring of Enlivant (f/k/a Assisted Living Concepts, Inc.), an owner/operator of 210 senior living facilities located in 20 states.*
- Represented Moynihan Station Development Corporation and Empire State Development in connection with the redevelopment of the Farley Post Office Building to become the future train hall for LIRR and Amtrak and approximately 700,000 square feet of commercial and retail space.*
- Represented a prominent New York-based development company in connection with the redevelopment and approximately $1.3 billion construction financing of a new office tower in lower Manhattan.*
- Represented a global financial institution in connection with the approximately $1.7 billion sale of a hotel and casino located in Las Vegas, NV.*
*Representation completed prior to joining Ropes & Gray
- Co-author, “Commercial Real Estate in the United States,” Practical Law (August 2020)
- JD, Vanderbilt University Law School, 2012
- BA (Economics), magna cum laude, Bucknell University, 2009
Admissions / Qualifications
- New York, 2013
- The Best Lawyers in America – Ones to Watch (2023)