Tom Wechsler is an associate in the real estate investments & transactions group. Tom has a wide range of transactional experience including acquisitions and dispositions, joint ventures, mortgage and mezzanine financings and sale-leaseback transactions.
Prior to joining Ropes & Gray, Tom was an associate in the New York office of an international law firm and was Associate General Counsel at a real estate investment and development company in New York.
- Represented BidFair on its $3.7 billion acquisition of Sotheby’s, including the mortgage and mezzanine financing of Sotheby’s U.S. headquarters in Manhattan.
- Represented a leading U.S.-based hospital and affiliated medical group in a $1.5 billion sale-and-leaseback financing transaction with Medical Properties Trust, for healthcare facilities located in California, Pennsylvania and Connecticut.
- Represented Advent International in connection with its majority investment in Aimbridge Hospitality and subsequent merger with Interstate Hotels & Resorts, which created a combined company managing a portfolio of more than 1,400 branded and independent hotels.
- Represented an international private bank in connection with a $200 million co-investment in a qualified opportunity zone fund for the development of a mixed-use project located in Brooklyn, New York comprised of 360,000 square feet of office and retail space.
- Represented a New York-based investment firm in the formation of a joint venture to acquire marina properties, subsequent third party investments in the joint venture and the REIT share sale of the platform to a public REIT.
- Represented C&S Wholesale Grocers in connection with its sale and leaseback of a portfolio of supply warehouses.
Notable transactions in which Tom has been involved prior to joining the firm include:
- Represented TPG Capital in connection with its $280 million acquisition, financing and restructuring of Assisted Living Concepts, Inc., an owner/operator of 210 senior living facilities located in 20 states.
- Represented Moynihan Station Development Corporation and Empire State Development in connection with the redevelopment of the Farley Post Office Building to become the future train hall for LIRR and Amtrak and approximately 700,000 square feet of commercial and retail space.
- Represented a prominent New York-based development company in connection with the redevelopment and approximately $1.3 billion construction financing of a new office tower in lower Manhattan.
- Represented a global financial institution in connection with the approximately $1.7 billion sale of a hotel and casino located in Las Vegas, NV.
- Co-author, “Commercial Real Estate in the United States,” Practical Law (August 2020)
- JD, Vanderbilt University Law School, 2012
- BA (Economics), magna cum laude, Bucknell University, 2009
Admissions / Qualifications
- New York, 2013