Daniel is a partner in the private equity transaction practice at Ropes & Gray. His practice focuses on cross-border and domestic M&A, public and private acquisitions and divestitures, leveraged buyouts, going private transactions, minority investments and joint ventures. In addition to his private equity transactional experience, Daniel also advises on a variety of corporate and securities law matters.
Daniel has extensive experience representing various clients including private equity and other investment funds and public and private companies in transactions across jurisdictions in Asia and the U.S.
Prior to joining Ropes & Gray, Daniel was counsel at a leading international law firm in Hong Kong.
- Advised CMC Capital Partners in its joint venture with Creative Artists Agency, a global entertainment and sports agency, creating CAA China.
- Advised NewQuest Capital Partners in its acquisition of Integreon, Inc., a global legal, document, business and research outsourcing firm, from LiveIt Investments Limited and Actis.
- Advised CMC Capital Partners in various investments, including Jaunt Inc., a leading U.S.-cinematic virtual reality company, Yitiao, a Chinese online video content producer and e-commerce start-up, and Giphy, a U.S.-based search engine of animated GIFs.
Transactions completed prior to joining Ropes & Gray include:
- Represented Avista Capital Partners in its $210 million acquisition of BioReliance Corporation from Invitrogen Corporation.
- Represented Baring Private Equity Asia in connection with its acquisition of a stake in Kyobo Life Insurance, the third largest insurer in South Korea (as part of Daewoo’s US$1.1 billion sale of its Kyobo shares), marking the second-largest private equity backed deal in Asia ex-Japan in 2012.
- Represented Baring Private Equity Asia and GE Capital in connection with their investment in a leading precision technology manufacturing company in China, with operations in China, the U.S. and Europe.
- Represented CBS Corp. in the $1.8 billion acquisition of CNET Networks, Inc. by tender offer.
- Represented China Investment Corporation in connection with its PIPE investment in iKang Healthcare Group.
- Represented China Media Capital in the going private acquisition of Charm Communications Inc., a NASDAQ-listed advertising agency group in China that offers integrated advertising services with particular focus on television and the internet.
- Represented China Media Capital in connection with various preferred equity minority investments in Chinese media targets.
- Represented the buyer consortium in the going private acquisition of Le Gaga Holdings Limited, a NASDAQ-listed leading greenhouse vegetable producer in China.
- Represented an investor group led by Macquarie Infrastructure Partners and Macquarie Communications Infrastructure Group in the $1.4 billion acquisition of Global Tower Partners, a leading U.S. wireless tower operator.
- Represented Net263, an SZSE-listed integrated enterprise communications provider in China, in its acquisition of U.S.-based iTalk Global Communications.
- Represented NewQuest Capital Partners in the going private acquisition of China Hydroelectric Corporation, a NYSE-listed owner, developer and operator of hydroelectric power projects in China.
- Represented Providence Equity Partners in its $263 million acquisition, with Ayala Corporation, by tender offer of dual-listed eTelecare Global Solutions, a Philippine company focusing on business process outsourcing solutions listed in both the U.S. and the Philippines.
- Represented RPC Group Plc in connection with its first major investment in Greater China through the acquisition of Ace Corporation Holdings Limited.
- Represented a music publishing joint venture in its acquisition of the music publishing business of Viacom Inc.
- Represented the Special Transactions Committee of the MGM MIRAGE Board of Directors in the planned going private sale of the Bellagio Hotel and City Center, both owned by MGM MIRAGE, to Tracinda Corp. and majority shareholder Kirk Kerkorian.
- Represented the special committee of the board of directors of Xueda Education Group, a NYSE-listed leading provider of personalized tutoring services for primary and secondary school students in China, in connection with its proposed acquisition by Shenzhen-listed Xiamen Insight Investment Co., Ltd., an affiliate of Tsinghua Unigroup Limited.
- Quoted, “Q&A: CHINA AT A TIME OF UNCERTAINTY - Cooling Chinese IPO Market, Volatility Create Opportunities: Ropes & Gray's Yeh,” Bloomberg BRIEF Private Equity (September 16, 2015)