Peng Yu is a partner in Ropes & Gray's private equity transaction group. His practice focuses on mergers and acquisitions for private equity and corporate clients.
Peng regularly represents clients in growth capital investments, buyouts, take-private transactions, dispositions and joint ventures. His work includes advising many leading global private equity firms in their investments in Asia, with a particular focus on China. He also advises Asia-based private equity sponsors and corporate clients in their domestic and outbound investments.
Prior to joining the firm, Peng worked in New York and Hong Kong for leading international law firms in private equity and M&A practices. Before that, Peng worked in Beijing and Europe as a senior counsel for a Europe-based multinational conglomerate. Peng passed the PRC Exam.
- Advised MBK Partners in their acquisition of a controlling stake in Apex International Corporation.
- Advised Baring Private Equity Asia in its sale, alongside Bright Food Group, of Weetabix Food Company to Post Holdings.
- Advised a consortium of investors in their investments in e-Shang Redwood, a leading developer, owner and operator of logistics real estate across Asia.
- Advised Bain Capital in its disposal of Gymboree Play & Music business.
- Advised NFT Capital in multiple investments in life sciences sector.
- Advised Baring Private Equity Asia in its acquisition of a 40 percent stake in Weetabix Food Company in the UK from Bright Food, a China state-owned food manufacturing company. Nominated for “M&A Deal of the Year” for 2016 by Asian Legal Business.
- Advised a global multi-strategy investor and Baring Private Equity Asia in their investments in China Shengmu Organic Milk Limited.
- Advised the Blackstone-led buyer group consortium in the take-private transaction of China-based Pactera Technology International Ltd.
- Advised CMC Capital Partners in its investment in Jaunt Inc., a leading U.S.-cinematic virtual reality company.
- Advised the buyer consortium including TPG in the take-private transaction of ShangPharma.
- Advised TPG in a number of investments in various business sectors in China.
- Advised Macquarie Greater China Infrastructure Fund in its investment in JinkoSolar Power Engineering Group Limited, a wholly-owned subsidiary of JinkoSolar Holding Co., Ltd., a New York Stock Exchange-listed, global leader in the solar PV industry.
- Advised Fenway Partners in its investment activities in China.
- Advised a leading global private equity sponsor in a number of investments in real estate portfolios in China.
- Advised a global multi-strategy investor in a number of investments in various business sectors in China.
- Advised a leading special situations investor on a joint venture and investment transaction.
- Advised a leading Asia-based private equity sponsor in a number of investments in China.
- Advised China GrenTech Corporation Limited in its take-private transaction.
- Advised Providence Equity Partners in cross-border take-private acquisition of eTelecare Global Solutions, a Philippine company focusing on business process outsourcing and dual-listed on the Philippines Stock Exchange and NASDAQ, and eTelecare’s subsequent business combination with US-based Stream Global Solutions Inc.*
- Advised a consortium of investors including Providence Equity Partners in its acquisition of 26% of TVB, one of the two free-to-air television broadcasters in Hong Kong.*
- Advised PCCW Limited in the restructuring of Reach Ltd, a 50/50 international connectivity joint venture with Telstra Corporation Limited.*
- Advised China Media Capital in its acquisition from News Corporation of three Chinese television channels and a move library.*
- Advised General Electric in a number of acquisition, joint venture and strategic alliance transactions with Chinese state owned and private enterprises in infrastructure industries.*
- Advised Siemens in a number of strategic M&A, joint venture and disposition transactions in China in various business sectors including communications, healthcare and infrastructure.*
* Completed prior to joining Ropes & Gray
- Quoted, “Hillhouse’s $10.6B Fund Showcases Budding Asia PE Market,” Law360 (September 19, 2018)