Peng Yu is a partner in Ropes & Gray’s private equity transactions group, and is based in Hong Kong. He focuses his practice exclusively on private equity matters and mergers and acquisitions.
Global and regional private equity and corporate clients seek Peng’s counsel in a wide range of critical business matters, including buyout, take-private, PIPE, growth capital investment, divesture, joint venture and other cross-border transactions, particularly those with a China nexus. These transactions span sectors as diverse as technology, education, health care/life sciences, consumer products, industrials, infrastructure and real estate.
Industry sources such as Chambers Asia, IFLR 1000 and The Legal 500 Asia-Pacific have recognized Peng for his private equity and M&A work, and China Law & Practice named him “TMT Lawyer of the Year” in 2018. Clients also cite the quality of Peng’s counsel, as well as his ability to leverage his bilingual capabilities and experience working with different cultures to guide clients through multijurisdictional issues arising in cross-border transactions. As one client notes, Peng is “commercial, solution-oriented and very hands-on.”
Peng advises numerous leading private equity and corporate clients, including Alibaba, Bain Capital, Baring Private Equity, Blackstone, China Resources Capital, MBK Partners, MIRA and TPG, among others.
Select Recent Matters
- Alibaba in its US$1.15 billion investment in Farfetch (in conjunction with Richemont); US$1.38 billion PIPE investment in ZTO Express; US$1.4 billion take-private of iKang Healthcare; equity investment in, and related joint venture with, Dufry; joint venture with Marriott; strategic partnership with Richemont; and joint venture with YOOX Net-A-Porter Group
- Bain Capital in its acquisition of World Wide Packaging; acquisition of a China-based packaging business; and sale of Gymboree Play & Music business
- Baring Private Equity Asia in its acquisition, alongside Bright Food Group, and subsequent US$1.8 billion disposal, of UK-based Weetabix Food Company
- Blackstone in its US$625 million take-private transaction of Pactera Technology International Ltd.
- China Resources Capital in its investments in health care and infrastructure sectors
- GF Capital and six other investors in investment in e-Shang Redwood
- Macquarie Greater China Infrastructure Fund in its investment in JinkoSolar Power
- MBK Partners in its acquisition of a controlling stake in Apex Logistics and the subsequent sale of Apex Logistics to global logistics firm Kuehne & Nagel
- TPG in its joint venture with China Lodging Group; take-private of ShangPharma; and various investments in China-based businesses in consumer, education and fintech sectors
- Yonghe Investments in its transactions in consumer businesses
- Quoted, “2019 in Asia: China shapes the region,” Private Equity International (January 3, 2019)
- Quoted, “Hillhouse’s $10.6B Fund Showcases Budding Asia PE Market,” Law360 (September 19, 2018)
- LLM, Columbia University School of Law, James Kent Scholar
- LLM, with Honors, University of International Business and Economics
- LLB, with Honors, University of International Business and Economics
Admissions / Qualifications
- Hong Kong, Solicitor, 2015
- New York, 2008
- IFLR: Asia Future Leaders (2021)
- China Business Law Journal: The A-List of China’s Top 100 Lawyers (2020)
- Chambers Asia-Pacific: Leading Lawyer in Private Equity, China (2019-2021)
- IFLR1000: Rising Star (2017-2021)
- China Law & Practice Awards: TMT Lawyer of the Year (2018)