David Zhang is a partner of Ropes & Gray LLP, and is currently on assignment in Hong Kong as a Senior Foreign Legal Consultant. His practice concentrates on advising clients on internal investigations, due diligence, and compliance programs, particularly with a focus on anti-corruption and anti-bribery matters in China.
David has represented and conducted internal investigations for multinational and U.S.-listed clients across different industries, including pharmaceutical, medical device, internet and technology, hotel and hospitality, venture capital/private equity and aerospace and aviation. David is natively bilingual in English and Mandarin Chinese, and he has extensive cultural knowledge of the China region.
- Conducted numerous internal investigations related to anti-corruption, off- label promotion, clinical studies, bid-rigging and export compliance for multinational life sciences companies, including Fortune 100 corporations.
- Conducted an anti-corruption internal investigation for U.S.-listed leading provider of cloud computing services in one of its international markets, including advising the client on self-disclosure to U.S. DOJ and SEC.
- Conducted internal investigations regarding anti-corruption and revenue recognition issues for U.S.-listed industrial equipment manufacturer.
- Conducted internal investigations regarding procurement fraud, conflict of interest and embezzlement for U.S.-headquartered company with manufacturing operations in China.
- Conducted an anti-corruption internal investigation for U.S.-listed and privately-held companies across different industries, including hotel management, food & beverage and manufacturing.
- Advised multi-national medical device company regarding its government-appointed compliance monitorship.
- Conducted a number of comprehensive compliance risk assessment and post-acquisition due diligence of multinational life sciences companies’ local subsidiaries and operations.
- Advised life sciences companies, international venture capital and private equity funds on various anti-corruption and trade compliance due diligence for investments in Asia.
- Conducted anti-corruption training in Mandarin and English for local employees of multinational corporations and portfolio companies of international investment funds.
- Advised clients on developing and implementing anti-corruption compliance policies and procedures, channel and third-party risk management measures, and internal monitoring and control mechanisms for local operations of multinational corporations.
- Previously seconded to a Fortune 50 pharmaceutical company to assist with compliance and internal investigation matters.
- Co-author, “Compliance Challenges When Working With JV Partners in China,” The Anti-Corruption Report (September 19, 2018)
- Co-author, “What Companies Need to Know About China’s New Market Regulator,” Law360 (April 12, 2018)
- Co-author, “Justice Department Moves to Bolster Subpoena Powers for Foreign Bank Records,” Bloomberg BNA’s Corporate on Bloomberg Law (July 3, 2017)
- Co-author, "China Anti-Bribery Rules Raise Questions For Life Sciences," Law360 (February 27, 2014)
- Panelist, “The FCPA Pilot Program and considerations in evaluating voluntary self-disclosure” Ropes & Gray Medical Device Roundtable (May 2017)
- Panelist, “FCPA Pilot Program: The Value of Self-disclosure” Ropes & Gray Roundtable in conjunction with Chambers, Shanghai (May 2017)
- Speaker, “Differences between the FCPA and PRC Law: Compliance Traps Posed by Distributors Under Different Laws” Everpro Law Seminar on Distributor Compliance (March 2017)