Frances Zhang is a registered patent agent in the intellectual property litigation group. Her practice spans a wide array of technologies, including wireless communication standards, software and hardware for consumer electronics, data security, image sensing technology, and biomedical and mechanical devices.
Frances has been actively involved in all stages of patent litigation in district court, the PTAB, and the ITC. She has extensive experience performing invalidity and non-infringement analyses, developing claim construction positions, drafting briefs, and assisting with deposition and trial examination preparation.
In addition to her litigation practice, Frances has experience prosecuting patents related to software and electronic hardware technology in the U.S. and major foreign jurisdictions. She has also worked on numerous due diligence matters involving biomedical and mechanical devices.
As a graduate student at MIT, Frances researched the data privacy practices of popular mobile applications. Her results were featured in the Boston Globe and presented at an international privacy conference. As an undergraduate summer intern, she developed an optimization for a voice-enabled web search engine and was granted a patent as the first named inventor for her work.
- Godo Kaisha IP Bridge 1 v. TCL Communications Technology Holdings Ltd. (D. Del.). Representing IP Bridge in a patent infringement suit concerning 4G LTE wireless standards.
- StrikeForce Technologies (E.D. Va., D. Mass., PTAB). Currently representing StrikeForce in a series of district court actions involving the assertion of patents relating to out-of-band authentication technology.
- Imperium IP Holdings (Cayman), Ltd. v. Samsung Electronics (E.D. Tex.). Represented Samsung in a patent infringement suit concerning image sensors. Jury found patent invalid after a six-day trial.
- Samsung Electronics (PTAB). Represented petitioner in an inter partes review concerning image sensors. All challenged claims were found invalid.
- Certain Wireless Devices with 3G and 4G Capabilities (ITC). Represented defendant Samsung Electronics against a patent infringement suit concerning 4G wireless communication standards. Participated in an 8-day trial involving seven patents.
- A Leading Multinational Electronics Company (PTAB). Represented petitioner in an inter partes review concerning software configuration technology.
- Revolaze v. A Leading U.S. Clothing Retailer (ITC). Represented defendant in a patent infringement suit concerning laser abrasion of fabrics.
- A U.S. Marketing Technology Company (PTAB). Prepared an inter partes review petition concerning location-based marketing applications for mobile devices. Obtained favorable settlement for client based on petition.
- Opinion Letters. Experience performing due diligence and drafting opinion letters for patents related to cochlear implants, electromyography, transcranial magnetic stimulation, industrial helmets, scooters, clothing design, and consumer shopping applications.
- Patent Prosecution. Experience drafting and prosecuting patents in U.S. and foreign jurisdictions related to digital media systems, memory devices, encoding algorithms, wireless communication circuitry, and financial systems.