Steve Zaorski is counsel in Ropes & Gray’s asset management group. He advises clients in the formation and operation of private investment funds, including buyout, venture, funds-of-funds and special focus funds. His clients range from emerging managers to international financial firms operating worldwide in multiple asset classes. In addition, Steve advises on the arrangement of separately managed accounts, secondary transactions and the structuring of direct investments by private funds and institutional investors. He also represents investment advisers to private equity funds on Advisers Act matters.
Prior to joining the firm, Steve was a fellow with the Iraq & Afghanistan Veterans of America. In this role, he developed corporate governance policies for the growing nonprofit organization, and he also represented a veteran before the United States Court of Appeals for Veterans Claims.
Steve has represented clients including:
- The global private equity fund of funds platform for one of the largest asset managers in the world
- Pacific Investment Management Company
- Kohlberg & Company
- Siguler Guff & Company
- Metropolitan Real Estate Partners
- Cornerstone Advisors, Inc.
- “Why I Represent Veterans,” New York State Bar Association Pro Bono News, Vol. 24 No. 4 (2013)
- Co-author, “Social Media Usage in the Financial Services Industry: Toward a Business-Driven Compliance Approach,” Journal of Taxation and Regulation of Financial Institutions (May/June 2013)
- JD, magna cum laude ; Order of the Coif, Seton Hall University School of Law, 2010; Seton Hall Law Review, Senior Editor
- BA, magna cum laude, Georgetown University, 2007