Daniel M. Anderson
Daniel M. Anderson
View the Chinese version.
Dan Anderson leads Ropes & Gray’s Asia restructuring and special situations practice and previously served as managing partner of the firm’s Hong Kong office. He regularly advises creditor groups, debtors and office holders in restructurings. He also advises investment funds and proprietary trading desks on their debt and equity investment in public and private companies, principally in distressed and special situations. Dan’s clients include some of the leading special situations investors in Asia. Dan was a director in the special situations group at Citadel in Hong Kong from 2007 to 2011, where he was involved in making, restructuring and exiting investments throughout Asia and across capital structures. Dan is proficient in spoken and written Chinese.
Dan is listed as a leading lawyer in Restructuring in Asia Pacific by Chambers and Legal 500 (2016-2021). Dan also leads the restructuring practice in Hong Kong, which was named “Restructuring Team of the Year” by IFLR 2015.
- Regularly advises one of Asia’s leading special situations funds on credit and equity-linked transactions throughout Asia.
- Advised a committee of noteholders on the restructuring of notes issued by Global A&T Electronics Ltd.
- Advised a steering committee of noteholders on the restructuring of notes and other liabilities of Mongolian Mining Corporation.
- Advising a syndicate of lenders of $150m loan to Jindal Steel & Power Mauritius Limited.
- Advising a committee of noteholders in the restructuring of notes issued by subsidiaries of Rolta India Limited.
- Advised Kaisa Group, a Hong Kong-listed real estate company operating in China, on the restructuring of its offshore liabilities. Named “Restructuring Deal of the Year” for 2017 at the IFLR Asia Awards.
- Advised an ad hoc committee of bondholders on the restructuring of foreign currency convertible bonds issued by Indian wind-turbine maker Suzlon Energy Ltd. Named “Restructuring Deal of the Year” for 2015 at the IFLR Asia Awards.
- Advised an ad hoc group of noteholders on the restructuring of notes issued by LDK Solar. Named 2015 “Finance Deal of the Year for Restructuring & Insolvency” by The Asian Lawyer.
- Advised PT Berlian Laju Tanker, Indonesia’s largest oil and gas shipping firm, in connection with its US$1.85 billion second-round consensual restructuring. Named “Restructuring Deal of the Year” for 2016 at the IFLR Asia Awards.
- Advised a consortium of investors led by GF Investments and including Huarong International, Huarong Rongde, SPDB International, China Everbright, Everbright Securities and CMBC International, in a US$300 million investment in E-Shang Redwood.
- Advised a leading multi-national hedge fund on share-backed financing to controlling shareholder of a NYSE listed company that primarily operates in China.
- Advising TPG in its $108.6 million investment in Chinese real estate developer Xinyuan Real Estate Co. Ltd.
- Advised a group of bondholders on the restructuring of foreign currency convertible bonds issued by Jaiprakash Power Ventures Limited.
- Advised subscriber of $250 million secured second lien convertible bonds privately placed by Singapore listed company that owns aluminum production assets in China.
- Advised a global investment bank on its participation, in a $100 million financing of an AIM-listed, India-based wind turbine power plant developer.
- Advised a leading regional private equity fund on its loan to a Hong Kong company, guaranteed by a PRC company, the proceeds of which were used to acquire an Australian company.
- Chambers Asia-Pacific and Greater China: Leading Lawyer in Restructuring/Insolvency (2016-2022)
- Legal 500 Asia-Pacific: A Leading Individual in Restructuring & Insolvency (2016-2022)
- IFLR1000: Highly Regarded (2021-2023)
- Chambers Global (2020)
- IFLR1000: Rising Star (2014-2020)
- IFLR Asia Awards: 2015 “Restructuring Deal of the Year” for the Suzlon Energy restructuring and “Restructuring Team of the Year.”
- The Asian Lawyer: 2015 “Finance Deal of the Year for Restructuring & Insolvency” for the LDK Solar restructuring.
- Who’s Who Legal: Restructuring & Insolvency (2021)
- Co-author, “Implications of the Rule in Gibbs on the Effectiveness of Schemes of Arrangement to Compromise US Law-Governed Debt,” Global Restructuring Review (December 20, 2022)
- Featured, “Heads Up: Daniel Anderson at Ropes & Gray in Hong Kong,” Global Restructuring Review (July 27, 2022)
- Quoted, “China Evergrande Defaults on Its Debt. Now What?” The New York Times (December 9, 2021)
- Quoted, “Chinese Developer Modern Land Fails to Repay $250 Million U.S. Dollar Bond,” The Wall Street Journal (October 26, 2021)
- Quoted, “China Evergrande makes a payment before a default deadline, state media says.,” The New York Times (October 22, 2021)
- Quoted, “Lawyers Blast Hong Kong Law Society's Proposed New Restrictions,” The Asian Lawyer (December 20, 2018)
- Profiled, “Ropes Names Special Situations Co-Head as New Hong Kong MP,” Asian Legal Business (November 29, 2017)
- Moderator, “What is next for Asian credit?” The Debtwire Asia-Pacific Forum (October 2021)