Government Investigations and Prosecutions
- Representing a major pharmaceutical manufacturer in a proactive litigation against HHS-OIG regarding the government’s interpretation of the AKS and patient assistance programs.
- Representing a major pharmaceutical manufacturer in an investigation by the U.S. Attorney’s Office for the Southern District of New York regarding the production and manufacturing of certain drugs.
- Representing a major medical device company in a DOJ investigation related to the manufacturing of certain devices.
- Representing a major pharmaceutical manufacturer in a state attorney general FCA matter relating to the manufacturing and promotion of certain drugs.
- Defending a major biotech company in a prosecution by the U.S. Attorney’s Office for the District of Massachusetts alleging AKS and FCA violations related to patient assistance programs.
- Representing an EU-based senior executive of a multinational entertainment industry company in a corruption-related investigation by DOJ, SEC and the Canadian International Anti-corruption Unit.
- Representing a senior executive of a financial services company in an SEC investigation into the company’s activities involving certain client fraudulent activities.
- Represented a multinational oil and gas services company in a DOJ/SEC investigation into allegations stemming from the Operation Car Wash Lava Jato investigation.
- Represented a major pharmaceutical manufacturer in a multiyear, wide-ranging criminal and civil investigation into Food, Drug and Cosmetic Act allegations and AKS allegations.
- Represented a senior executive of a professional services company in the energy sector in a DOJ and SEC investigation into the company’s activities in the Middle East and Africa for potential FCPA violations.
- Represented the assistant general counsel of a major pharmaceutical company in a DOJ prosecution of obstruction and false statements charges.
- Represented an international pharmaceutical company in a multistate attorneys general investigation into consumer protection violations related to alleged fraudulent marketing and promotional practices.
- Represented a U.S.-based multinational medical device company in an industry-wide FCPA investigation.
- Represented the chairman and CEO of a medical device manufacturer in a DOJ investigation of potential off-label promotional activities.
- Defended a major medical device company in connection with alleged FCA claims, including obtaining a summary dismissal of a qui tam action filed in federal court.
- Represented the former CFO of a multinational oil and gas company during a DOJ and SEC investigation into the company’s activities in Argentina through a Joint Venture Company for FCPA violations.
- Leading multiple internal investigations for a medical device company focused on FCA whistleblower matters, anti-kickback statutes, and alleged improper marketing and sale of devices.
- Conducting multiple internal investigations for a major pharmaceutical company into alleged FCA and AKS violations.
- Conducted compliance investigations related to the FCPA, UK Bribery Act, and internal compliance policies and procedures for a multinational oil and gas services company.
- Conducted an internal investigation for a major pharmaceutical company related to clinical trials.
- Conducted proactive investigations into anti-corruption related matters for a multinational exploration and production energy company.
- Serves as compliance counsel to a major pharmaceutical company, monitoring and evaluating the effectiveness of the company’s global compliance program.
- Conducted a comprehensive review of a Fortune 20 multinational energy company’s compliance program, providing key observations and recommendations for improvement for the company’s compliance program.
- Advised a major pharmaceutical company on various compliance initiatives, including designing and executing an extensive U.S. compliance monitoring program.
- Developed a comprehensive global anti-corruption compliance program for a multinational exploration and production energy company, based on global corporate-level and market-level anti-corruption risk assessments.
- Helped lead the team that supported the monitor for an aircraft manufacturer in a three-year monitorship, as part of the company’s deferred prosecution agreement with DOJ and SEC.
- Washington, D.C. Super Lawyers Rising Stars (2016-2021)
- Noted, “People News,” Global Investigations Review (November 3, 2022)
- Noted, “Appointments,” The Washington Post (October 31, 2022)
- Co-author, “A Guide To FCA Cooperation Credit For Life Sciences Companies,” Law360 (June 18, 2019)
- Co-author, “Anti-Corruption In Mexico: Reasons For Cautious Optimism,” Law360 (November 29, 2017)
- Panelist, “Legal Risks of Patient Support Programs,” Pharmaceutical Compliance Forum (September 14, 2022)
- Panelist, “Modernization of Third-Party Risk Management,” Virtual Twenty-Second Annual Pharmaceutical and Medical Device Ethics and Compliance Congress (November 2, 2021)
- Speaker, “Data Analytics and AI to Detect and Defend Fraud,” HCCA Healthcare Enforcement Compliance Conference, Virtual (November 18, 2020)
- Speaker, “Key Considerations and Best Practices in Operationalizing Speaker Programs,” 21st Annual Pharmaceutical and Medical Device Compliance Congress, Virtual (November 4-6, 2020)
- Speaker, “Compliance Challenges Posed by Emerging Organizations,” 21st Annual Pharmaceutical and Medical Device Compliance Congress, Virtual (November 4-6, 2020)
- Speaker, “Patient Support Programs – Helping Patients Access Products” 20th Annual Pharmaceutical and Medical Device Compliance Congress, Washington, D.C. (November 7, 2019)
- Speaker, “Next Generation Anti-Corruption Compliance Programs: Transforming a Policy-Based Program to a Controls-Based Program,” Society of Corporate Compliance and Ethics 18th Annual Compliance & Ethics Institute, National Harbor, MD (September 17, 2019)
- Speaker, “Round Table Discussion: Anti-Corruption Initiatives in Mexico,” Ropes & Gray, Von Wobeser y Sierra and ICC México Round Table Discussion, Mexico City, Mexico (September 18, 2017)
- Co-Host, “The Trump Administration’s First 100 Days,” Roundtable Discussion, Washington, D.C. (May 9, 2017)
- Co-Host, “A Private Conversation About Data Privacy,” Roundtable Discussion, Washington, D.C. (March 22, 2017)
- Co-Host, “Challenges of Serving as In-House Counsel,” Roundtable Discussion, Washington, D.C. (March 1, 2016)