Commitment to Diversity
At Ropes & Gray, diversity has long been an essential part of our firm identity. We are committed to fostering an inclusive community of professionals of all races, religions, genders, sexual orientations and family structures. We see our individual differences as an asset that enhances the quality of life for each of us and strengthens what we can accomplish as a firm.
The firm works hard to promote the recruitment, retention and advancement of people of diverse backgrounds at all levels. Our diversity committee, led by partners Leslie Spencer and Joan McPhee, hosts programs and events, addresses policy issues, and works to ensure that diversity remains a key focus across all of our offices. With the help of resources such as the Ropes Multicultural Group, LGBTQ Forum, Women’s Forum, and professional development and attorney support teams, we offer educational programs and seminars to our firm community.
Ropes & Gray has consistently been recognized as being among the nation’s leading law firms in the area of diversity overall, as well as with respect to minorities, gays and lesbians, and women:
- In the 2019 Vault survey, Ropes & Gray was ranked number eight for overall diversity, marking the 10th consecutive year that the firm has been ranked in the top 10.
- For the past 11 years, the firm received a perfect score on the Human Rights Campaign Foundation’s Corporate Equality Index (CEI), earning designation as a “Best Place to Work for LGBT Equality.”
- The Minority Corporate Counsel Association honored the firm with two consecutive Thomas L. Sager Awards. This award recognizes firms that have succeeded in introducing policies that promote diversity and inclusion through retention, client inclusion, pipeline, mentoring and LGBTQ initiatives.
- Ropes & Gray was recognized for “Best Mentoring Program” in the Chambers Women in Law Awards.
- Yale Law Women’s Top Ten Family Friendly Firms survey recognized Ropes & Gray for Gender Equity (2014, 2016 – 2018).
- The National Asian Pacific American Bar Association honored the firm with the Law Firm Diversity Award (2015).
- Ropes & Gray was named one of the top 10 “Best Law Firms for Women” by Law360 (2017, 2018), and ranked fifth on the publication’s “Ceiling Smashers” list of large firms with the highest percentage of female equity partners.