Laura G. Hoey
Laura Hoey is co-leader of the firm's global Litigation and Enforcement practice group. Laura is also a former office managing partner for the Chicago office, former co-leader of the Government Enforcement and White Collar group and the firm's Health Care and Life Sciences industry group. Laura combines her trial and investigative skills as a former federal health care fraud prosecutor with extensive experience in the health care industry. Laura is known for creative and tenacious defenses and for efficient, well-managed internal investigations.
She represents clients in all areas of the health care and life sciences industry including pharmaceutical and medical device companies, diagnostic laboratories, hospital systems, electronic health record providers, and management companies who are facing government investigations and Congressional inquiries. Laura conducts internal investigations in all types of government and regulatory compliance matters including:
- potential violations of whistleblower and anti-kickback statutes and of anti-corruption and anti-bribery statutes, including the Anti-Kickback Statute and the U.S. Foreign Corrupt Practices Act,
- alleged violations of the False Claims Act,
- alleged health care fraud,
- alleged violations of the Federal Food, Drug and Cosmetic Act, and
- alleged violations of privacy and cybersecurity laws, including HIPAA.
As a federal prosecutor, Laura prosecuted health care fraud, kickback violations, Food, Drug and Cosmetic Act violations, document destruction and obstruction cases, and criminal HIPAA violations, as well as tax fraud and public corruption. She was first chair in five trials, winning convictions in all five.
In 2008, Laura received the Department of Health and Human Services Office of the Inspector General’s Integrity Award.
Laura is a member of the firm's Women's Forum.