Clients from large and established pharmaceutical companies to small biotech start-ups call upon our multidisciplinary team of attorneys to provide counsel in connection with a wide variety of matters, including:
- Mergers and Acquisitions
- Public and Private Financings
- Licensing, Collaborations and Joint Ventures
- U.S. and China Regulatory
- Government Enforcement
- Securities & Futures Enforcement
- Intellectual Property and Litigation
Our attorneys have comprehensive experience across the biotech and pharmaceutical industries, including:
- Pfizer in its $14 billion acquisition of Medivation Inc., a biopharmaceutical company focused on developing and commercializing small molecules for oncology.
- Shire in its agreement with Baxalta Incorporated to combine the companies for an aggregate consideration of approximately $32 billion. Baxalta, headquartered in Northern Illinois, is a $6 billion global biopharmaceutical leader developing, manufacturing and commercializing therapies for orphan diseases and underserved conditions in hematology, oncology, and immunology.
- Boehringer Ingelheim in its $595 million global license and collaboration agreement with AbbVie to jointly develop and commercialize a biologic IL-23 antibody for the treatment of psoriasis and other immunological indications.
- Vertex Pharmaceuticals in its $2.6 billion strategic research and collaboration agreement with CRISPR Therapeutics.
- A leading pharmaceutical company in a patent case involving the use of Botox® to treat pain from spinal compression, where the representation included a trial before the PTAB.
- Mersana Therapeutics, a clinical-stage biopharmaceutical company, in connection with its $75 million initial public offering.
- JHL Biotech in a strategic alliance with Sanofi to develop and commercialize biological therapeutics in China and potentially internationally. Under the agreement, Sanofi will invest US$80 million in JHL and make an upfront payment of US$21 million to acquire rights to certain JHL biologics. In addition, JHL will be entitled to receive milestones of up to US$236 million and sales royalties.
- Pacira Pharmaceuticals in First Amendment and APA challenges to FDA’s assertions that the company engaged in “off-label” promotion of its flagship product, a post-surgical analgesic. As a result, FDA agreed to withdraw its warning letter and revise the label to clarify that the challenged claims were permissible.
- Sarepta Therapeutics in its $584 million exclusive license and collaboration agreement with Summit Therapeutics for the European rights to Summit’s utrophin modulator pipeline for the treatment of Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy.
- Pfizer in a joint collaboration with Merck KGaA to develop and commercialize an anti-PD-L1 antibody to treat tumors. Under the terms of the agreement, Merck will receive $850 million upfront and $2 billion in regulatory and commercial milestone payments.
- Zai Lab in its $30 million Series C preferred equity financing round, led by OrbiMed with other new investors Vivo Capital, Cormorant and Rock Springs Capital.