Our interdisciplinary practice, comprised of over 30 attorneys, has helped anticipate clients' needs and successfully address complex legal, financial and regulatory issues unique to energy and infrastructure projects across the country.
Our clients include:
- Electricity generators and distributors
- Private equity and infrastructure funds
- Oil and gas companies
- Energy-related technology companies
- Energy developers
- Investment companies and advisors
- Private investors
We provide these clients with legal services covering the full range of their business needs and issues, including:
- Business restructurings
- Intellectual property matters
- Mergers & acquisitions
- Debt and equity offerings
- Asset divestitures and acquisitions
- Joint ventures & minority investments
- Private financings and strategic investments
- Energy supply agreements
- Environmental and regulatory compliance
Our attorneys have experience supporting energy and infrastructure companies and funds in a number of disciplines, including:
- Securities Offerings
- Mergers & Acquisitions
- Intellectual Property
- Private Equity and Venture Capital
- Real Estate
- Private Investment Funds
- Investment Management
- Hedge Funds
Our clients include companies such as Eversource Energy, Berkshire Partners, Canada Pension Plan Investment Board, NSTAR, TPG Capital, Bain, National Grid, and New Gulf among others.
- Multiple issuers in issuance of securitized note reduction bonds secured by stranded cost to be collected from customer.
- Represented the lead underwriters in multiple debt and equity offerings totaling more than $2 billion for a leading electric and gas utilities company.
- Represented the lead underwriters in connection with multiple debt offerings for a gas and electricity utility company, totaling more than $1.7 billion.
- Represented a leading public utility company for several years in various public debt offerings totaling more than $2 billion.
Mergers & Acquisitions and Joint Ventures
- Representing a leading public utility company in its pending acquisition of Aquarion Water Company, the largest private water company in the region. The deal is valued at $1.67 billion including debt.
- Representing a private equity firm and its strategic investment in the pending sale of Lightower, a leading provider of fiber solutions with a dense fiber footprint in top metro markets in the northeast, to Crown Castle.
- Represented a pension fund sponsor in the $2.03 billion acquisition of Macquarie Communications Infrastructure Group.
- Represented a leading Massachusetts energy provider, in its merger with Northeast Utilities, creating one of the nation’s largest utilities, with an enterprise value totaling $17.5 billion.
- Represented a leading public utility company in the Access Northeast Project, an equity investment in Algonquin Gas Transmission LLC (AGT), the owner of a natural gas pipeline. The company is joining investors Spectra Energy and National Grid in an effort to grow the capacity of Algonquin’s existing natural gas pipeline across New England and build out liquefied natural gas storage facilities in Acushnet, MA.
- Represented a leading public utility company in its joint venture with DONG Energy, the global leader in offshore wind power, to develop deepwater offshore wind farms off the coast of the New England states.
- Solar Power. Methods of manufacturing solar cell arrays; production of amorphous silicon semiconductor materials; novel photovoltaic cells.
- Alternative Power. Microbial digestion for production of cellulosic ethanol; production and utilization of biogas; hybrid vehicle power systems.
- Electric Power. Environmentally-friendly energy storage devices; advanced fuel cell technology; dielectric impregnants; regional electric power distribution, optimization and market pricing; regional electric power load control and disaster prevention; tidal generation of electricity.
- Environmental. Aquifier contamination; oil tanker deballasting residue; atmospheric transformation of fossil fuel combustion products.
Private Equity and Venture Capital
- Represented a private equity firm in the $1.8 billion acquisition financing for Encana Oil & Gas’s Oil & Gas Assets.
- Represented a private equity firm in its leveraged tender offer buyout of Japan Wind Development Company (JWD), a leading alternative energy firm in Japan.
- Assisting a state-owned water utility in evaluating potential strategic opportunities relating to CalGen plants and advising U.S. Bank in potential acquisition or restructuring of Calpine-owned power plants.
- Represented lenders in the debt restructuring (and potential pending foreclosure/acquisition) of two 265-MW plants located at Tiverton, Rhode Island and Rumford, Maine (formerly operated by affiliates of Calpine Corporation).
- Represented an ad hoc committee of lenders/equity holders of Milford Power, a 544 MW generation facility in Milford, Connecticut, with respect to assessment of certain strategic options. The members of the committee received the equity in the plant pursuant to a prior debt restructuring.
- Representing a leading multi-utility company at the Tier 1A Former Coal Tar Processing Facility site in Everett, Mass. The project included the permitting of a $45 million confined disposal facility, administration of an Administrative Consent Order governing site investigation and remediation, and negotiation of several mitigation damage settlements.
- Represented a leading multi-utility company in the purchase of power plants from American Electric Power.
- Advising an Omani real estate development company on the US$15 billion Blue City Project in Oman, including the initial US$2.6 billion construction project and a US$1 billion construction financing for Phase 1.