Ropes & Gray’s FDA regulatory team assists many of the world’s leading multinational pharmaceutical manufacturers, as well as mid-size and start-up drug companies, in navigating FDA requirements across the product life cycle.
Knowledge of FDA regulations is critical when developing an initial regulatory strategy, seeking product approvals, developing an effective lifecycle management strategy, and assuring that products are manufactured and marketed in compliance with applicable requirements. We routinely advise established and development-stage pharmaceutical clients on legal and regulatory matters relating to:
- Nonclinical and clinical trials
- Product approvals, including Rx-to-OTC switches, Advisory Committee meeting preparation, and appeals from adverse approval decisions
- Risk management and drug safety
- Data and marketing exclusivity, including Hatch-Waxman and Orphan Drug issues
- Advertising and promotion
- Adverse event reporting (pharmacovigilance)
- Current Good Manufacturing Practices / Quality System Regulation
- FDA inspections
- FDA Warning Letters and enforcement actions
Examples of our regulatory pharmaceutical representations include:
- Assisted a multinational pharmaceutical company in crafting worldwide regulatory and risk management strategies with respect to clinical trial results involving one of its drugs.
- Advised a biopharmaceutical company during FDA approval process for its first drug to be marketed in the U.S., including issues related to FDA approval concerns, development of an initial sales and marketing compliance program, clinical trial matters and distribution/reimbursement concerns.
- Counseled a multinational pharmaceutical company on a variety of issues involving the sale of over-the-counter (OTC) drug products and switching prescription pharmaceuticals to OTC status.
- Provide ongoing advice on the Hatch-Waxman Act, and the appropriateness of listing various patents at FDA in connection with a client’s patent litigation on its contraceptive drug products.
- Assisted a leading pharmaceutical company in preparing submissions, including citizen petitions, to the FDA on issues surrounding bioequivalence of generic versions of the Company’s products including assisting in the development of comments on regulatory requirements governing bioequivalence of other products.
- Assisted in the development of a pharmaceutical client’s policies related to activities of medical science liaisons; and interactions of sales and marketing personnel with health care professionals.
- Represented a major multinational pharmaceutical company in two internal investigations involving allegations of off-label promotion, fraud & abuse violations, manufacturing violations, and failure to comply with internal company policies.
- Conducted a compliance risk assessment of the sales and marketing practices for a major pharmaceutical company’s drug. The assessment had two phases, which required a review of promotional and sales training materials, employee interviews, substantial document and email review.
- Represented a major pharmaceutical company as it worked with FDA to develop new policies for accelerated approval of drugs to treat life-threatening and serious conditions.
- Investigated alleged Good Manufacturing Practice (GMP) violations at a pharmaceutical manufacturer’s overseas plants and drafted responses to FDA that avoided the threatened imposition of an import alert on a blockbuster product.
- Provided regulatory counseling in connection with a “paragraph IV” lawsuit a leading global pharmaceutical company initiated against generic manufacturers who may be infringing the company’s patents.
- Provided regulatory due diligence advice and counsel to a leading global pharmaceutical company regarding the potential purchase of a pharmaceutical drug.
- Podcast: Non-binding Guidance: Continued Global Pressure on Drug Pricing & Reimbursement and the Next Frontiers for Effective Market Access
(October 13, 2022)
- Latest Legislative Developments in the UK on Retained EU law The Retained EU Law (Revocation and Reform) Bill Implications for Healthcare and Life Sciences Industry
(October 6, 2022)
- UK NICE Updates its Evidence Standards Framework for Data-Driven Digital Health Technologies
(October 5, 2022)
- Congress Enacts Clean Reauthorization of FDA User Fees, Leaving Uncertain Future for Important Policy Reforms
(September 30, 2022)
- Harmonizing the Common Rule and U.S. Food and Drug Administration Human Subjects Research Regulations
(September 30, 2022)
- Latest Post-Brexit UK Regulatory Development on Medical Devices and in Vitro Diagnostic Medical Devices: UK Government Response to the Future UK Regulatory Framework
(July 29, 2022)