Ropes & Gray is a leading international law firm with more than 1,000 lawyers and professionals regularly advising clients on their most important business and legal needs. Based in the major centers of finance, commerce, technology and government worldwide, we provide clients with innovative, responsive and effective advice with the highest standards of integrity and service.
Ropes & Gray has served clients from its Tokyo office since 2007. Our attorneys in Tokyo advise clients in a number of critical areas, including: intellectual property litigation, mergers and acquisitions, technology transactions, securities, government enforcement, and life sciences matters. Fluent in spoken and written Japanese, they have worked on some of the region’s most complex, challenging and high-profile matters for Japanese, U.S. and international clients with interests in Japan and throughout Asia. From leveraged buyouts, strategic M&A transactions and joint ventures, public offerings and capital markets issues to patent disputes, anti-corruption (FCPA) and antitrust price fixing investigations, Ropes & Gray’s professionals in Tokyo are well-positioned to serve clients on their most important cross-border business issues. Our experience for clients with interests in Japan includes:
- Representing Bain Capital in its US $1.1 billion acquisition of Bellsystem24, which was named ALB Japan’s 2010 “Technology, Media and Telecommunications Deal of the Year.”
- Representing affiliates of Bain Capital in the leveraged acquisition, by tender offer, for Japan-listed D&M Holdings, which was named ALB Japan’s 2009 “Technology, Media and Telecommunications Deal of the Year.” D&M is known for its Denon, Marantz, and Boston Acoustics audio products.
- Representing Bare Escentuals in its US $1.7 billion sale to Shiseido, a leading Japanese manufacturer and marketer of cosmetics, cosmetics equipment, and toiletries.
- Representing Kenedix Realty Investment, a Tokyo-based real estate company, in its $175 million 144A high yield offering.
- Winning a dismissal in an ITC section 337 investigation based on a patent infringement complaint filed against our client, flash memory maker Spansion Japan Ltd., by Samsung Electronic Co., Ltd.
- Managing global litigation, with counsel in Germany and Japan, and structuring a successful global settlement of all pending litigation for Aisin AW in infringement cases in Texas as part of global patent dispute over navigation devices.
- Securing a favorable settlement for Ricoh Americas Corporation, a leading provider of digital office automation equipment and office software solutions, in a multi-district litigation relating to halftone printing technology for use in color laser printers and copiers.