Mergers & Acquisitions / Private Equity
Consistently recognized around the world as a leader in navigating complex international transactions, lawyers on Ropes & Gray’s Tokyo M&A team apply innovation, leadership, experience and value in representing global private equity firms and public and private companies.
We represent public and private companies as purchasers, sellers, and other participants in acquisitions, change of control and proxy contests, joint ventures, dispositions, restructurings, spin- and split-offs, lender and exchange offers, going private transactions and other matters of strategic importance. We provide counsel on transactions of many sizes, including multi-billion dollar mergers and acquisitions.
Our Tokyo group is part of a global team of more than 150 lawyers dedicated to:
- Acquisitions and dispositions
- Equity financing
- Management compensation
- Senior debt financing
- Seller financing
- Mezzanine debt and high yield bond financing
- Structured financing
- Minority investments
Our M&A lawyers leverage the experience of Ropes & Gray colleagues globally with specific industry and legal knowledge. Such cooperation and communication allows us to identify, quantify and resolve the potential risks and benefits of a transaction throughout the structuring, diligence and negotiation phases of a deal.
Ropes & Gray’s Tokyo team also represents all of the various participants in private equity funds, as well as in leveraged acquisitions and other private equity investment transactions. We bring an extraordinary depth of experience and a distinctive approach to provide sound advice and assessments of risk, practical solutions and first-class service for our clients in areas that include:
- Investment fund formation
- Leveraged buyouts
- Minority investments
- Senior and mezzanine debt
- CDO, venture, and hedge fund investments
- Natural resources investments
Recent matters include:
- Representing Bain Capital in the $1.1 billion acquisition of Bellsystem24, the leading call center operator in Japan.
- Representing Bain Capital in the leveraged acquisition, by tender offer, for Japan-listed D&M Holdings. D&M is known for its Denon, Marantz, and Boston Acoustics audio products.
- Representing TPG Capital in the acquisition and financing of a portfolio of Japanese real estate and related assets.
- Representing an investment fund in the acquisition and financing, through a TMK bond issuance, of a Tokyo hotel.
- Representing Bare Escentuals in the US $1.7 billion sale to Shiseido, a leading manufacturer and marketer of cosmetics, cosmetics equipment, and toiletries in Japan.
- Representing Canon in its $1.1 billion acquisition of Holland-based printing company Océ.
- Advising Emerson, a leading global technology company, on the sale of its Motors and Appliance Controls businesses to Nidec, a Japan-based manufacturer of small precision motors.
- Advising Bain Capital in its acquisition of Higa Industries Co. Ltd., operator of 179 franchised Domino’s Pizza stores in Japan.
- Representing Bain Capital in the leveraged acquisition of MEI Conlux, a subsidiary of Mars, Inc. Bain partnered in the transaction with Advantage Partners, a Japanese private equity firm.
- Advising Silver Lake Partners in the $1.2 billion sale of Instinet LLC to Nomura Holdings Inc., a global agency broker.