Ropes & Gray has a long history of providing creative, practical advice in a cost-effective manner during all phases of the technology business life cycle, from research and development through business formation, commercial growth, rights prosecution and litigation, antitrust and marketing compliance, to offerings, financing, and mergers and acquisitions. Our Tokyo team’s extensive industry knowledge and relationships, combined with our capabilities across critical legal disciplines, permit us to meet the full needs of technology companies across industries.
The technology practice at Ropes & Gray serves the needs of businesses across technologies --- from developing electrical, optical or mechanically-engineered products to handling the often disruptive and fast-moving changes Internet and cloud-based business models bring. With many practitioners with advanced degrees in engineering fields, we have the training, experience and industry know-how to effectively handle clients’ technology issues.
The recognition our Tokyo team has received for its technology capabilities includes garnering the Asian Legal Business “Technology, Media and Telecommunications Deal of the Year” for two years in a row in 2009 and 2010.
Recent matters include:
- Investigating and coordinating the response into data security and privacy breaches at a major Japanese consumer product company.
- Representing Bain Capital in the $1.1 billion acquisition of Bellsystem24, the leading call center operator in Japan.
- Representing Bain Capital in the leveraged acquisition, by tender offer, for Japan-listed D&M Holdings. D&M is known for its Denon, Marantz, and Boston Acoustics audio products.
- Representing Canon in its $1.1 billion acquisition of Holland-based printing company Océ.
- Advising Emerson, a leading global technology company, on the sale of its Motors and Appliance Controls businesses to Nidec, a Japan-based manufacturer of small precision motors. Establishing international data and technology licensing models for Japanese institution.
- Advising Japanese technology companies on alternative IP portfolio monetization strategies.
- Representing an Asian electronics manufacturer in establishing an LCD joint venture with a U.S.-headquartered manufacturer.
- Advising a leading China-based internet company on its relationships with U.S.-based technology providers.
- Negotiating services outsourcing, manufacturing and commercial technology sharing relationships for numerous Asian-based clients.
- Analyzing open source and other technology and IP risks associated with new business models.
- Winning a dismissal in an ITC section 337 investigation based on a U.S. patent infringement complaint filed against our client, flash memory maker Spansion Japan Ltd., by Samsung Electronic Co., Ltd.
- Managing global litigation, with counsel in Germany and Japan, and structuring a successful global settlement of all pending litigation for Aisin AW in infringement cases in Texas as part of global patent dispute over navigation devices.