Former Summer Associate Quotes
- “Overall, the training was excellent, and I appreciated that we were given such substantive and quality training as part of the summer program – this was an important consideration in my decision-making process to accept an offer.”
- “I liked the balance that Ropes & Gray strikes between work and social events. The social events are really fun, but I also liked doing some substantive assignments so that I can start assessing which practice groups interest me.”
Our summer associates come from many law schools and bring a range of rich experiences and interesting backgrounds. We look not only for academic excellence but motivation, leadership experience and the ability to work in collaborative teams in a vibrant, increasingly global environment. All of our summer associates share a deep commitment to excellence and to early mastery of the practical skills of the legal profession.
Our goal is to provide summer associates with a realistic sense of what it is like to work at the firm by having them work on actual client matters and by giving them opportunities to get to know our attorneys through a variety of social events, activities and lunches. Our attorneys provide meaningful and timely feedback on work assignments, and offer additional perspective through an end-of-summer formal review. Summer associates also benefit from our highly regarded training program, which provides both practice-specific and general soft-skills training designed to support summer associates’ professional growth and development.
In addition to the work assignments, summer associates will have ample opportunities to learn more about the firm through a number of programs featured throughout the summer, including:
- Training: summer associates have the opportunity to participate in a number of different training sessions throughout the course of the summer program. A sample of trainings offered during the summer program include practice group overviews, legal writing, and ethical lawyering, among others.
- Social Events: a wide variety of events are scheduled throughout the 10-week program, designed to help summer associates get to know one another and our lawyers better. Past events have included baseball games, theater nights, partner dinners, museum trips and cooking classes.
- Community Service: each office provides summer associates with the opportunity to spend a day of service with a local organization, as well as work with our lawyers on pro bono matters.
We are flexible in our approach to engaging with law students. If you are interested in applying for a position at Ropes & Gray, please check with your career services offices about opportunities to apply to us through on-campus interviews, job fairs or resume-collect programs. Alternatively, you may apply online, beginning June 1, 2019.