- “Ropes is an exceptional firm that is remarkable for the consistent quality of execution in all facets of transaction work and specialty practice areas.” Private Equity Client, Chambers USA
- “They’re quick, considerate, and very client-oriented. They try to understand where we are and what our goals are, tailoring the advice to fit accordingly.” Intellectual Property Client, Chambers Asia
- “They will do whatever is required to get the job done.” Client, Chambers USA
- “An excellent firm with good, talented people who have a strong work ethic when it comes to supporting their clients.” Health Care Client, Chambers USA
- “This well-established firm houses a top-rated litigation group with a presence on the national stage and the capacity to handle the most complex of disputes. Its lawyers are respected throughout the market for their expertise and the quality of their service, which takes in a variety of industries and the key areas of securities and white-collar litigation.” Chambers USA
- “I use the firm over others because they tend to understand our overall business and provide a solution that is not only legally sound, but helps satisfy the business objective.” IP Client, Chambers USA
- “A firm providing high-quality service, staffed by fine legal minds who work extremely hard.” Life Sciences Client, Chambers USA
- “The Ropes & Gray team has a good understanding of deals from a business perspective and a strong grasp of key legal matters from the investor’s perspective. They are also able to integrate expertise from various offices efficiently.” Private Equity Client, Chambers Asia
At Ropes & Gray, we view collaboration as the key to solving our clients’ complex legal issues. To position ourselves to collaborate effectively, we strive to secure the best legal talent in the world, and build teams that work together to reach the right solution for clients, drawing on and learning from the insights of our most qualified team members.
The team approach, which often involves attorneys from different practice groups and geographic locations, applies to nearly every matter we handle. Most teams involve two or three lawyers; larger teams are convened for particularly complex matters.
We find that taking a collaborative approach is similarly effective in structuring client relationships. Certain clients are best served by a cross-departmental team of partners, counsel and associates ready to handle any matter that a client brings to the firm. This approach enables the attorneys to develop close working relationships with not only the client, but with each other as well, all while reinforcing the expansive capabilities of the firm. Ultimately, we have found that this approach enhances our ability to serve the client efficiently and with a keen understanding of its core business objectives.
Clients of the Firm
Ropes & Gray clients are clients of the firm—not of any one particular attorney. This philosophy is reinforced by our compensation structure, in which revenues are shared by the firm as a whole, and compensation is based on factors that include not only revenue generation, but also seniority and non-billable contributions.
Practice Group Collaboration
Attorneys at the firm collaborate internally as members of practice areas. The firm also maintains several cross-departmental practice groups focused on particular industries that act as multifaceted teams prepared to address complex issues specific to particular industries or issues. The life sciences group, as an example, has an overarching focus on resolving issues affecting clients in the biotech, pharmaceutical and medical device spaces, and includes attorneys from the corporate governance & compliance, mergers & acquisitions, intellectual property, litigation, executive compensation & employee benefits, tax, and FDA regulatory practices. This cumulative aggregate of knowledge and experience encourages our attorneys to constantly learn from one another, with the common goal of providing excellent service to our clients in each and every matter.