Legal Knowledge Management Attorney: Corporate Department: Hedge Funds and Private Investment Funds – Boston or New York Preferred
Objectives and Responsibilities
- Stay current and advise practice groups on legal developments in the private investment fund area.
- Create, update and manage forms, checklists, and other KM resources. Update KM resources to reflect legal and regulatory changes and developments.
- Improve precedent, forms, and checklist management systems. Implement document management and precedent tracking systems to facilitate user search of and access to KM resources.
- Update, maintain, and ensure uniform use of each group’s preferred filing guidelines and related document management systems; monitor and encourage compliance among group members.
- Assist in maintaining fund and deal term grids (summaries of fund and deal terms) and precedent libraries.
- In coordination with practice group lawyers, prepare and update practice insight tools, including memoranda on commonly encountered legal issues and legal developments for both internal communications and client alerts.
- Respond to attorney requests for research services and to tailor forms for specific client matters.
- Determine the most useful resources for online legal and market knowledge (e.g., Knowledge Mosaic / Lexis / PLC / Private Raise / Preqin) and coordinate with library services and others to arrange for appropriate subscriptions and licenses, and to respond to practice group requests for practice-related research and the consideration of online forms and precedent material.
- Assist in maintaining practice group reference and training materials.
- Organize and update KM tools on firm intranet and help maintain the groups’ intranet sites.
- Train attorneys, paralegals and others on forms, document management systems for fund and deal documents, precedent library, filing guidelines and other KM matters.
- Provide experienced advice to practice group members regarding substantive questions within areas of expertise and regarding use of appropriate forms, precedents, checklists and other KM materials.
- Collaborate with KM Attorneys within the firm’s other practice groups—in particular within the Asset Management Practice (HF, PIF and Investment Management)–and geographies to share, coordinate, and adopt best KM practices and resources.
- Manage development and implementation of the firm’s experience database on behalf of the HF and PIF groups. Coordinate on behalf of the HF and PIF groups with respect to other firm-wide and Corporate Department KM initiatives.
- J.D. with expertise in private investment fund practice and sponsor representation, and minimum of 5 years of relevant practice experience at a top-tier firm.
- Ability to establish credibility with Ropes & Gray attorneys and work with professional staff across a variety of functions in a multi-office environment.
- Strong writing ability, including technical contract drafting skills and ability to communicate clearly, and excellent research skills.
- Experience with and comfort in using internet and intranet technologies.
- Strong organizational, project management, and systematizing skills and proven attention to detailProficiency in Word, Excel, PowerPoint and at least one document management software system.