Weekly highlights of what’s happening at Ropes & Gray:
- Health care industry deals remain in the news this week, as Ropes & Gray advised publicly held Surgery Partners, Inc. and Bain Capital Private Equity in the planned acquisition by Surgery Partners of National Surgical Healthcare (NSH) for $760 million. The deal will create a diversified inpatient and outpatient surgical provider with 125 surgical facilities, 58 physician practice locations and complementary ancillary services. Partners Carl Marcellino and Will Shields led the Ropes & Gray team.
- The U.S. health care system continues to move toward value-based care arrangements that reward providers based upon the quality and efficiency of their services, creating significant challenges and opportunities for every segment of the industry. This new article highlights 10 key business and legal issues for investors considering opportunities in the health care sector.
- The General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) came into force in May 2016 and makes numerous changes to European data protection laws. Among other things, the GDPR updates the rules on the use of consent by data controllers to justify their processing of personal data in various circumstances. In this new alert about the UK Information Commissioner’s consultation on its draft GDPR Consent Guidance, our privacy & data security attorneys examine some of the draft Guidance’s contentious elements.
- Ropes & Gray former managing partner John Montgomery has been recognized with the “Beacon of Light Award” presented by My Life My Choice, a Boston-based non-profit organization that is committed to ending commercial sexual exploitation of children. John and his team represented three child sex trafficking victims against Backpage.com, a website that transmits the vast majority of internet advertisements for illegal commercial sex in the United States, including online child sex advertising.
- Following a busy year for IP transactions and cases across Asia, Ropes & Gray’s Asia IP practice received high rankings from Asian Legal Business and additional recognition as a market leader. The publication ranked top law firms practicing in Asia according to complexity of work undertaken, key clients and visibility in the region, among other metrics.
Stay Up To Date with Ropes & Gray
Ropes & Gray attorneys provide timely analysis on legal developments, court decisions and changes in legislation and regulations.
Stay in the loop with all things Ropes & Gray, and find out more about our people, culture, initiatives and everything that’s happening.
We regularly notify our clients and contacts of significant legal developments, news, webinars and teleconferences that affect their industries.