Fourth Annual International IP Summit
This event will be virtual
Please join Boston College Law School and Ropes & Gray at our 4th Annual International IP Summit. The summit is a premier forum for practitioners, business leaders, academics, and government officials to explore the dramatically evolving global IP environment.
CLE provided for CA, IL and NY
All times are EST
|October 13||12:30-12:45PM||Welcome Remarks|
|12:45-1:55PM||IP Rights, Vaccines, and Drug Development|
|2:05-3:35PM||IP Updates from Around the World|
|October 14||10:00-11:00AM||Global Cybersecurity and Privacy: Coherence or Conflict?|
|12:35-1:35PM||Leading and Thriving through Prolonged Uncertainty: A Conversation with General Counsels|
|1:45-2:45PM||Antitrust Law, Platforms, and IP|
By invitation or
- Welcome Remarks
- Diane M. Ring, Interim Dean, Professor, Boston College Law School
- IP Rights, Vaccines, and Drug Development
This panel will discuss tools to facilitate optimum drug development and distribution, especially in times of public health emergencies, including consideration of patents and IP waivers.
- Julie Barnes-Weise, Executive Director, Global Healthcare Innovation Alliance Accelerator
- Ruth Okediji, Professor, Harvard Law School
- Anita Varma, Partner, White & Case LLP (Moderator)
- IP Updates from Around the World
This panel will discuss significant updates on IP law in jurisdictions around the world.
- María González Calvet, Partner, Ropes & Gray LLP
- The Honorable Márcia Maria Nunes de Barros, Federal Judge, 13th Federal Court in Rio de Janeiro
- Ndubuisi Ekekwe, Professor, Tekedia Institute, Founder, First Atlantic Semiconductors & Microelectronics
- Kevin Mooney, Partner, Simmons & Simmons LLP, Chair, Rules and Procedures of the Unified Patent Court (UPC) Drafting Committee
- Elaine T. L. Wu, Principal Counsel and Director for China IP, Office of Policy & International Affairs, U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
- Beibei Sun, Senior Corporate Counsel, Global Licensing and Business Development, Sanofi (Moderator)
- Global Cybersecurity and Privacy: Coherence or Conflict?
This panel will discuss the evolution of global cybersecurity and privacy law, particularly in light of the growing trends towards data sovereignty that threaten to undermine the exchange of data across borders. Both cybersecurity and personal privacy protections are rapidly evolving in response to cybersecurity threats. Responses from Europe, the United States and China often use similar concepts, but some strands of these laws undermine what is necessary for global data sharing. At the same time, the rise of state-tolerated ransomware threatens to impact global supply chains. Panelists will explore whether we are racing toward global harmony on data norms or walled gardens that may undermine the global data ecosystem.
- Joanna Baltes, Adjunct Professor in the M.S. Cybersecurity Policy and Governance Program, Boston College
- Fran Faircloth, Associate, Ropes & Gray LLP
- Ken Mortensen, Data Protection Officer, InterSystems
- Kevin Powers, Founder and Director, MS in Cybersecurity Policy & Governance Program, Boston College; Assistant Professor of the Practice, Boston College Law School; Assistant Professor of the Practice, Business Law & Society Dept., Carroll School of Management
- Katherine Wang, Partner, Ropes & Gray LLP
- Ed McNicholas, Partner, Ropes & Gray LLP (Moderator)
- Welcome Remarks
- Leading and Thriving through Prolonged Uncertainty: A Conversation with General Counsels
In this session, GCs from leading technology and life sciences companies in the U.S. will share lessons learned from the past 18 months as well as the challenges they face. Topics will include:
- Legal issues and the executive order surrounding non-compete agreements
- Vaccine mandates
- Increasing diversity in the legal field
- IP issues related to trade and supply chains
- Moving into and embracing the new hybrid area of work
- Jim DeGraw, General Counsel, Secretary & Chief Administrative Officer, Volta Inc.
- Jason P. Fiorillo, Esq., Chief Legal Officer, Boston Dynamics
- Mary Miller, General Counsel & Corporate Secretary, Butterfly Network, Inc.
- Regina Sam Penti, Partner, Ropes & Gray LLP (Moderator)
- Antitrust Law, Platforms, and IP
This panel will discuss enforcement priorities of U.S. and foreign competition authorities as well as civil litigation related to platforms, pharmaceuticals, and IP.
- Steven Geiszler, U.S. Chief Intellectual Property Counsel, Huawei
- Samer Musallam, Partner, Ropes & Gray LLP
- Barbara Rosenberg, Partner, BMA Advogados
- David Olson, Professor, Faculty Director for the Program on Innovation and Entrepreneurship, Boston College Law School (Moderator)
By invitation or application only.
- Interactive Roundtable
The October 15 Roundtable session is by application and invitation only. This session will gather together people with significant expertise and experience in international IP law and business to share what they are seeing in the market and brainstorm best practices in these uncertain times. The roundtable will be a fully-interactive two-hour session. Participants are expected to attend the entire roundtable. Further details will be announced.