Ropes & Gray Advises on Five of Top 10 Biopharmaceutical M&A Deals in 2016
Ropes & Gray advised on five of the 10 transactions identified by BioWorld Today as the Top Biopharmaceutical M&A deals in 2016.
Ropes & Gray represented:
- Shire in its acquisition of Baxalta for a combination of stock and cash valued at $32 billion,
- Pfizer in its acquisition of Medivation for $14 billion in cash,
- Shire in its acquisition of Dyax for $5.9 billion cash upfront and Contingent Value Rights (CVRs) worth up to an additional $600 million,
- Citi as financial advisor to Anacor Pharmaceuticals in its sale to Pfizer for $5.2 billion in cash, and
- Centerview Partners and Citi as financial advisors to Tobira Therapeutics in its sale to Allergan for $595 million cash upfront and CVRs worth up to an additional $1.1 billion.
Ropes & Gray’s 2016 participation in major biopharma M&A was consistent with 2015. During 2015, the top biopharmaceutical M&A deals the firm worked on included:
- Pfizer in its acquisition of Hospira for $17 billion in cash,
- Cubist Pharmaceuticals in its sale to Merck for $9.5 billion in cash,
- Synageva BioPharma in its sale to Alexion Pharmaceuticals for a combination of stock and cash valued at $8.9 billion, and
- Par Pharmaceuticals in its sale to Endo International for $8.05 in cash.