The Week at Ropes & Gray: Attorney Discusses Cryptocurrency at Davos; Transactions around the Globe; Liability under the False Claims Act; Globalizing Your Compliance Program; Law360 Details the Firm’s Standout Work in 2017; Recognition for Deal Work in China
Weekly highlights of what’s happening at Ropes & Gray:
- The 2018 World Economic Forum in Davos brought together world leaders to discuss global, regional and industry initiatives. Ropes & Gray intellectual property litigation associate Marta Belcher spoke on a panel at a satellite event, hosted by CryptoHQ, on the laws and the regulations surrounding cryptocurrencies and blockchain technology.
- Our clients announced a number of transactions in global markets:
- Dutch pension fund APG Asset Management has entered into a €450 million joint venture with the US-based Hines Group to develop and retain more than 1,200 apartments in Dublin, Ireland. Ropes & Gray advised APG on the investment.
- Pan-European growth investor Palamon Capital Partners has acquired a majority stake in UK-based Thomas International, a leading provider of psychometric assessment solutions. Ropes & Gray advised the founders of Thomas International.
- It’s been a year since the U.S. Supreme Court decided Universal Health Services v. U.S. ex rel. Escobar, an important False Claims Act case. In this new video, partner Kirsten Mayer examines the implied certification theory of liability under the False Claims Act.
- Multinational businesses continue to face intense enforcement scrutiny by oversight authorities worldwide. This new alert for health care companies discusses the challenges and strategies associated with operating a compliance program on a global scale, while accounting for differences in local regulatory regimes.
- Law360 profiled our private equity and asset management practices following their recognition as 2017 Practice Groups of the Year. The articles highlight the firm’s standout work forming and launching funds and negotiating high-profile international agreements, among other accomplishments.
- The firm has been awarded Deal of the Year 2017 from China Business Law Journal for its counsel to China Oceanwide in its high-value acquisition of International Data Group, a leading global media, market research and venture capital company.
- Follow us on LinkedIn and Twitter for legal insights and the latest firm news.