The Week at Ropes & Gray: Two Significant Transactions; Legal Fees Award Follows Trial Victory; Court Strikes Down Anti-Transgender Policy in Puerto Rico; Privacy & Cybersecurity Summit Videos; Recognition in Asia; Partner Receives Inspiring Yale Award
Weekly highlights of what’s happening at Ropes & Gray:
- Our clients announced several large transactions this week including:
- Benefit Street Partners announced that the firm has entered into an asset purchase agreement under which Triangle Capital Corporation will sell its investment portfolio for about $981 million. Ropes & Gray advised Benefit Street Partners in the purchase.
- Summit Partners announced an agreement to sell ABILITY Network, a leading cloud-based software-as-a-service technology company, to Inovalon, a technology company providing cloud-based platforms, for approximately $1.2 billion. Ropes & Gray counseled Summit Partners on the sale.
- On April 3, the Delaware Court of Chancery awarded Ropes & Gray client TravelCenters of America LLC approximately $10 million in legal fees, expert fees, and costs, with interest following its trial victory against Comdata, Inc in September 2017.
- Ropes & Gray and Lambda Legal won a motion for summary judgement in a federal lawsuit, Arroyo Gonzalez et al v. Rossello Nevares, eliminating a discriminatory policy categorically barring transgender individuals in the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico from correcting the gender marker on their birth certificates to reflect their sex based on their gender identity. Ropes & Gray has been recognized for its work assisting LGBTQ individuals with legal questions across the U.S.; learn more about the firm’s dedicated pro bono efforts here.
- We are pleased to share with you complete video footage of select presentations from our Privacy & Cybersecurity Summit. This event featured discussions about the many rapidly evolving technology trends affecting businesses, as well as methods for assessing, addressing and managing privacy and cybersecurity risks across industries.
- Ropes & Gray has been recognized as winner in two categories at the Asia Legal Awards 2018 hosted by The Asian Lawyer, in association with The American Lawyer, China Law & Practice and Legal Week, including M&A Deal of the Year: North Asia and Private Equity Deal of the Year. This recognition follows multiple other accolades for Ropes & Gray in Asia.
- At a ceremony on April 11, health care partner Mark Barnes will receive the “Inspiring Yale Award” for the Yale Law School, where he holds a faculty position and teaches health care law and finance and public health law. Mr. Barnes is also on the faculty at Yale School of Medicine, where he teaches the history of the regulation of the medical profession, medical malpractice, and medical privacy.
- Follow u on LinkedIn and Twitter for legal insights and the latest firm news.