The Week at Ropes & Gray: Law360’s “Sealing the Deal”; Blockchain Patents; Changes to the Medicare Shared Savings Program; Firm Named a Massachusetts Powerhouse; Chicago Volunteers Pack Backpacks for Cradles to Crayons
Weekly highlights of what’s happening at Ropes & Gray:
- Law360’s “Sealing the Deal” series published a detailed look at Toshiba Corp.’s $18 billion sale of its semiconductor business to a group led by Bain Capital, represented by Ropes & Gray. The transaction is the largest leveraged buyout and private equity deal ever in Asia, and also among the most complex M&A transactions globally in 2017 and 2018. The article includes quotes from Tokyo-based private equity partner Tsuyoshi Imai and features an interactive timeline of the transaction.
- New tech innovations usually spur a wave of companies competing to win patents for their inventions, but with budding blockchain technology, the decision to patent isn’t always easy. In a recent Bloomberg Law podcast, Ropes & Gray IP litigation associate Marta Belcher discussed defensive patent strategies for blockchain innovators and how to prepare for blockchain patent litigation.
- The Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services issued a proposed rule that would overhaul the Medicare Shared Savings Program for accountable care organizations. In this alert, health care partner Michael Lampert explains that the proposed revision modifies the participation options available, among several other changes.
- Ropes & Gray has been recognized as one of Law360’s “Massachusetts Powerhouses” for 2018, topping the list by lawyer headcount in the state. The feature highlights the firm’s strengths, pointing to high-level counsel to innovative companies and institutions that have a U.S. and international presence.
- Chicago-based attorneys, employees and family members helped to stuff more than 25,000 new backpacks with essential school supplies for children in homeless and low-income circumstances during Cradles to Crayons’ third annual Ready for School Backpack-A-Thon.
- Follow us on LinkedIn and Twitter for legal insights and the latest firm news.