The Week at Ropes & Gray: A Strong Start to September; Pro Bono Team Preserves DACA in Texas; Firm Welcomes Three New Attorneys; Law360 Names Ropes & Gray a “Powerhouse” firm
Weekly highlights of what’s happening at Ropes & Gray:
- The month of September kicked off with a number of newsworthy transactions:
- U.K.-based private equity firm Epiris has acquired global auction house Bonhams, known for its sales of fine art and antiques, motor cars, and jewelry, from private shareholders. Ropes & Gray advised Epiris on the acquisition.
- Oberland Capital has successfully closed its second fund with $800 million in capital commitments. Ropes & Gray advised Oberland Capital.
- Webster Capital announced the final close of its latest fund, which greatly exceeded its initial target of $650 million. Ropes & Gray served as legal counsel to Webster Capital.
- The Hillman Group, Inc., a North American provider of hardware solutions, announced its acquisition of Big Time Products, a manufacturer of protective work gear. Ropes & Gray represents The Hillman Group, Inc., in the transaction.
- In a significant victory for our clients and other “Dreamers” late last week, a federal judge in Texas denied a motion filed by Texas and nine other states that would enjoin the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) policy. Ropes & Gray and its co-counsel, the Mexican American Legal Defense and Educational Fund, represent 22 DACA beneficiaries who intervened in the case to defend DACA.
- To help clients identify and mitigate corruption-related risks, Ropes & Gray has added María González Calvet as a partner in the firm’s Washington, D.C. office. Ms. Calvet, a former prosecutor and in-house counsel at General Electric, is a leading authority in the application of the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA) and other anti-bribery statutes in Latin America.
- The firm also welcomed arrivals in New York and Chicago. Christopher Capuzzi has joined as counsel in New York, and Laura Yockey has rejoined the firm’s private equity practice as counsel in Chicago.
- Ropes & Gray has been named a Powerhouse firm by Law360. In a feature article, Law360 highlighted Ropes & Gray’s strengths, pointing to high-level counsel to innovative companies and institutions that have a U.S. and international presence.
- Follow us on LinkedIn and Twitter for legal insights and the latest firm news.