The Week at Ropes & Gray: New Year, New Transactions; 2019 Industry Outlooks and 2018 in Review; Impact of the Government Shutdown; Patenting of AI Technology; Celebrating Our 2018 Achievements
We hope everyone had a wonderful holiday season. Below are weekly highlights of what’s happening at Ropes & Gray:
- The new year is off to a busy start, with clients making a variety of announcements:
- The Carlyle Group announced that its latest real estate secondaries program has raised $1.2 billion. Ropes & Gray advised Carlyle on the fund raise.
- Bain Capital Double Impact, the impact investing business of Bain Capital, announced its acquisition of HealthDrive, a Massachusetts-based specialty provider of medical services, from Riverside Partners. Ropes & Gray represented Bain Capital Double Impact in the transaction.
- Advent International announced its agreement to acquire a majority ownership interest in Aimbridge Hospitality, a North American third-party hotel operator, from Lee Equity Partners and General Atlantic. Ropes & Gray represented Advent International in the transaction.
- TPG Capital-backed Beaver-Visitec International, a leading developer, manufacturer and marketer of specialized surgical devices, announced its acquisition of PhysIOL. Ropes & Gray advised TPG Capital on the transaction.
- Freeman Spogli announced its recapitalization of CRH Healthcare, a leading urgent care platform in the Southeast. Ropes & Gray advised Freeman Spogli on the transaction.
- Our attorneys have been quoted in a number of 2019 outlook articles published by leading trade publications that offer insights and predictions for changes in regulatory developments, upticks in transactional activity and more.
- In Law360, global head of Ropes & Gray’s mergers & acquisitions practice Paul Scrivano discussed M&A trends.
- In Private Equity International, private equity partner Peng Yu discussed private equity trends in Asia.
- In Buyouts, co-head of Ropes & Gray’s private investment fund practice John Ayer provided insights on the market for new private equity funds.
- In Law360, health care partner Tom Bulleit was quoted on health care policy developments.
- In Law360, IP litigation partner and chair of Ropes & Gray’s Patent Trial and Appeal Board practice Scott McKeown examined the PTAB.
- An upcoming webinar on January 23 will focus on various legal and regulatory developments that took place across the hedge funds industry in 2018.
- As the government shutdown persists, our attorneys continue to comment on how it will affect various industries:
- In The Deal, chair of Ropes & Gray’s securities & governance practice Keith Higgins examined how the government shutdown will affect IPOs, mergers and activist campaigns.
- In Bloomberg Law, investment management counsel David Tittsworth discussed the shutdown’s effect on IPOs and the policing of the securities industry.
- Artificial intelligence technology is driving a new wave of innovation, presenting unique challenges and opportunities for intellectual property law and policy. In this new podcast, our lawyers discuss the IP factors that influence patenting of AI technologies, determination of infringement liability, protection of training data, and inventorship/authorship attribution of AI-generated solutions and creations.
- Follow us on LinkedIn, Twitter and Instagram for legal insights and the latest firm news.