The Week at Ropes & Gray: Two PE Transactions; PE Partner Interviewed on Bloomberg TV; Decision in Trump Defamation Suit; Amicus Brief Cited in Important Privacy Ruling; Recognition for Multiple Practice Groups in China
Below are weekly highlights of what’s happening at Ropes & Gray:
- Two of our private equity clients announced transactions:
- TSG Consumer Partners announced its acquisition of CorePower Yoga, the largest yoga fitness studio operator in the United States. Ropes & Gray advised TSG Consumer Partners in the transaction.
- CCMP Capital Advisors, LP announced its agreement to acquire BGIS, an integrated facilities management company, from Brookfield Business Partners. Ropes & Gray represented CCMP Capital Advisors in the transaction.
- Private equity partner Carolyn Vardi was interviewed live on Bloomberg TV’s “Bloomberg Markets: The Close.” She discussed an array of conditions affecting private equity transactions, from activist strategies to valuations and financing. The entire interview is available here.
- The Appellate Division of the New York State Supreme Court upheld a trial court ruling in Summer Zervos v. Donald J. Trump, allowing a defamation suit to proceed against President Trump. Ropes & Gray represents a group of distinguished law professors as amici curiae in the appeal. “This decision affirms the bedrock constitutional principle that no one in the United States is above the law, including a sitting president,” said appellate & Supreme Court partner Doug Hallward-Driemeier.
- In Hately v. Watts, an important case regarding email privacy, the Fourth Circuit Court of Appeals extensively quoted an amicus brief submitted by Ropes & Gray. The court ruled that opening an email does not strip the message of vital privacy protections under the Electronic Communications Privacy Act.
- For the second consecutive year, China Business Law Journal honored three Ropes & Gray practices in its China Business Law Awards. The firm’s practices were recognized for providing a high level of counsel on mergers and acquisitions, complex restructuring and insolvency issues, and intellectual property matters, including patents.
- Follow us on LinkedIn, Twitter and Instagram for legal insights and the latest firm news.
Private equity partner Carolyn Vardi appeared on Bloomberg TV.