The Week at Ropes & Gray: Litigation Team Settles Key Voting Rights Case; Golden Gate Capital Announces a Deal; Privacy Laws Affect Medical Studies; IP Law and Hoverboards; Ropes & Gray Ranked in Multiple Practice Areas; Firm Rated Highly for Women Attorneys; Asian Legal Business Honors our IP Practice
Below are weekly highlights of what’s happening at Ropes & Gray:
- A firm litigation team reached a court-approved settlement that requires Lowell, Mass. to change its municipal electoral system. Ropes & Gray and Lawyers for Civil Rights alleged in a 2017 Federal Voting Rights Act case that the city’s elections process illegally dilutes the vote of communities of color.
- Private equity firm Golden Gate Capital announced an investment in Ensemble Health Partners, an industry-leading national revenue cycle management provider. Ropes & Gray represented Golden Gate Capital.
- Companies doing business across the United States continue to navigate a changing patchwork of privacy laws. Health care associate David Peloquin discusses in Bloomberg Law how medical studies are affected.
- Hoverboards continue to grow in popularity, leading to disputes between mobility companies that produce them. Matt Rizzolo and Jim Gaylord authored a Law360 article that examines Swagway LLC v. ITC, finding that Swagway hoverboards infringed Segway Inc.’s trademarks. The case includes issues of first impression.
- Ropes & Gray was ranked in 36 practice areas in the 2019 Legal 500 US. Multiple attorneys were individually recommended in their areas of practice, including 15 who were named “Leading Lawyers” in their fields, and seven who were named “Next Generation” leaders in their fields.
- Ropes & Gray was named to Law360’s list of “Best Law Firms for Female Attorneys” for the third consecutive year. With 45 percent women attorneys and 28 percent women partners—above industry averages—Ropes & Gray was recognized as a top 10 firm for female representation in the publication’s 2019 Glass Ceiling Report. Separately, María González Calvet and Colleen Conry were named to the Latinvex list of Latin America's Top 100 Female Lawyers and ranked in the FCPA & Fraud category.
- Ropes & Gray’s Asia IP practice received high rankings for its work across Asia from Asian Legal Business for the second consecutive year. The firm is ranked in Tier 1 among international firms in the patents category in China, Japan and South Korea.
- Follow us on LinkedIn, Twitter and Instagram for legal insights and the latest firm news.