Backpack Project Helps More than 1,300 Kids Get Ready for Back to School
Ropes & Gray attorneys and support professionals helped more than 1,300 children in need get a good start to the upcoming school year by providing them with new backpacks, clothing, school supplies and gift cards as part of the firm’s annual Backpack Project.
The firm has sponsored the Backpack Project since 1999. At the beginning of every school year, attorney and support team volunteers shop or donate money for backpacks, school supplies and back-to-school outfits. The bags are then filled with the supplies and clothes, and distributed to local community organizations (including public schools and nonprofits) that help children in need.
This year’s recipients included the following organizations:
- Boston: Bridge Home, Casa Nueva Vida, Crossroads Family Shelter, Elizabeth Stone House, Heading Home, Margaret's House, Metro Housing Boston, Nazareth Residence, Project Hope, Renewal House, Sojourner House, St. Ambrose Family Inn, St. Mary's Home, Transition House, Victory Program and YWCA/Bigelow Family Shelter
- New York: WIN Junius Shelter and Sojourner Truth House
- Chicago: Cradles to Crayons’ Annual Backpack-A-Thon, where Ropes & Gray volunteers helped to stuff 50,000 backpacks with school supplies for Chicago children in homeless and low-income situations
- San Francisco: Glide Foundation
- Silicon Valley: Santa Clara County Foster and Adoptive Parent Association
- Washington, D.C.: Two local classrooms in need