In The News

In Bloomberg Law, IP Litigator Analyzes Dearth of Women Practicing at PTAB

Practices: Intellectual Property, Intellectual Property Litigation, Patent Litigation, Patent Trial & Appeal Board (PTAB) Proceedings, Patent Strategy, Litigation

Following a report by the PTAB Bar Association, Bloomberg Law features remarks from IP litigation partner Gabrielle Higgins (Silicon Valley) concerning women at the Patent Trial and Appeal Board.

She explains that she was not surprised by a recent report that found women account for only 10% of total attorney appearances in post-grant proceedings before the PTAB. The study also revealed that women composed only six of the top 100 lawyers appearing in the most PTAB trials, while 20% to 30% of registered patent attorneys are women.

Ms. Higgins, who has served as co-chair of the PTAB Bar Association Diversity Committee, said that when she pitches a team to represent clients in disputes, “it’s going to be diverse.” She notes the importance of pushing to maintain a diverse team through an entire proceeding, including the oral argument.

Ms. Higgins has been counsel of record in over 100 PTAB proceedings. She has argued at final oral hearings before the Board and has achieved numerous victories for her clients in final written decisions finding all challenged claims unpatentable.

Cookie Settings