The Week at Ropes & Gray
❖ BV Investment Partners Completes Close of $1.1 Billion Fund
❖ Private Equity Transactions
❖ Coronavirus Information and Updates
❖ Key Takeaways from the FIRRMA Implementation Regulations
❖ New FDA Regulatory Podcast
❖ Digital Health Company Sales Tax Rules
❖ Patent Damages for Willful Blindness
❖ Increased Scrutiny in Foreign Research Funding
❖ Ropes & Gray Earns Standout Rankings in Chambers Global 2020
This week, Ropes & Gray attorneys guided clients on private equity deals across various industries and earned recognition as a leading international law firm from Chambers Global. The firm also provided commentary on key developments in health care, life sciences and IP law, and released two new podcasts. Here’s a summary of the week’s highlights:
- Ropes & Gray attorneys advised private equity clients on a fundraise and on deals in the telecommunications, entertainment and restaurant industries:
- Middle-market private equity firm BV Investment Partners completed the close of Fund X at its hard cap of $1.1 billion. Ropes & Gray advised BV Investment Partners on the fund.
- Private investment management firm Centerbridge Partners made an investment in Landscape Acquisition’s purchase of AP WIP Investment Holdings. Ropes & Gray advised Centerbridge on the investment.
- Entertainment Partners, a global provider of production and workforce management solutions to the entertainment industry and a portfolio company of TPG Capital, acquired London-based film technology startup We Got POP. Ropes & Gray advised Entertainment Partners on the acquisition.
- Private investment firm KarpReilly and restaurant operator Eureka! Restaurant Holdings sold Eureka! to Carolo Corp. Ropes & Gray advised KarpReilly on the sale.
- Ropes & Gray launched a microsite with key information and updates related to the coronavirus/COVID-19 outbreak. The site includes a primer on mitigating health risks and maintaining business continuity, an article on how private equity markets have been affected by the virus, and a list of frequently asked questions on the legal and workplace challenges posed by the virus.
- The firm released a new podcast this week:
- Litigation partner Ama Adams and counsel Brendan Hanifin discuss new regulations implementing the Foreign Investment Risk Review Modernization Act that significantly expand the scope of CFIUS’s jurisdiction to review foreign investments in U.S. businesses.
- Attorneys contributed insights on legal developments in digital health care, patent litigation and research compliance:
- As digital health technologies and sales tax regimes evolve, digital health companies must evaluate their sales tax collection obligations. Health care partner Jennifer Romig co-authored a Law360 article examining how digital health companies can assess sales tax rules.
- The 2020 edition of Chambers Global recognized Ropes & Gray as a leading international law firm, with global rankings for corporate investigations/anti-corruption, private equity fund formation, life sciences and private equity. The publication also recognized the firm in 36 categories across China, India, Japan, South Korea, Latin America, the United States and Asia, and ranked 53 of the firm’s individual lawyers.
- For legal insights and the latest firm news, please follow us on LinkedIn, Twitter and Instagram.