Kevin Angle is counsel in the data, privacy & cybersecurity group based in Ropes & Gray’s Boston office. Recognized as a “Go To Lawyer: Cybersecurity & Data Privacy” by Massachusetts Lawyers Weekly, he represents a broad range of companies on privacy and cybersecurity matters, guiding clients through the existing patchwork of U.S. federal and state laws as well as the European Union’s comprehensive General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) and other international privacy and cybersecurity laws. Kevin also advises clients on privacy and cybersecurity matters arising in complex corporate transactions, helping clients to realize the value of data and protect it post close, along with assisting clients in responding to data security incidentsranging from ransomware to payment card theft in both the United States and multi-jurisdictional settings.
A member of the steering committee of the Boston Bar Association’s Privacy, Cybersecurity & Digital Law Section, Kevin guides companies through the creation and implementation of comprehensive privacy and cybersecurity compliance programs while navigating the complexobligations and requirements of the GDPR, the California Consumer Privacy Act as amended by the California Privacy Rights Act, the Connecticut Data Privacy Act, and other comprehensive US state privacy laws. He also regularly assists clients in complying with electronic and communications privacy laws such as the Electronic Communication Privacy Act (ECPA), rules and regulations governing ad-tech, the CAN-SPAM Act, the Telephone Consumer Protection Act (TCPA), the Telemarketing Sales Rule, and the Florida Telephone Solicitation Act, among others.
Kevin is a Certified Information Privacy Professional and leverages his prior experience in litigation to provide clients with risk-conscious advice. Kevin helps clients to anticipate and address potential areas of legal exposure and to structure breach responses and privacy programs to minimize potential liability.
Compliance and Counseling
- Represents prominent university in developing and implementing comprehensive GDPR compliance program
- Assists public biotechnology companies in operationalizing GDPR and CCPA compliance
- Assisting companies in industries ranging from construction to consumer goods in developing CCPA/CPRA compliant policies and procedures
- Provided product counseling to interactive, internet-connected fitness device manufacturer
- Advising consortium of retirement plan recordkeepers in developing data sharing, auto-portability framework
- Assists asset management clients in complying with financial privacy laws and regulations including the Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act and its implementing regulations, security safeguards rules, and identity theft red flag rules
- Advises companies on Illinois Biometric Information Privacy Act (BIPA), FTC Act, TCPA, CAN-SPAM, HIPAA, state data breach notification and security laws, along with the Payment Card Industry Data Security Standards (PCI DSS)
- Represented New Mountain Capital in its equity investment in W20 Group, a leading independent provider of analytics-driven digital marketing in the health care sector, along with follow-on acquisitions by W20 of Swoop.com, 21Grams and TI Health
- Represented TH Lee in acquisition of Intelligent Medical Objects, a healthcare data enablement provider
- Led privacy diligence in TPG’s $2.2 billion acquisition of Change Healthcare’s claims editing business, ClaimsXten
- Represented TPG in its simultaneous carve-out of AT&T’s U.S. video business (DirecTV) and $1.8 billion investment in carved out business
- Represented Goddard School in $420 million whole-business securitization bond offering backed by Goddard’s brand assets including data
Crisis Management and Incident Response
- Represented Fortune 500 engineering company in responding to ransomware attack
- Represented medical device maker regarding data theft and related US and European regulatory inquiries
- Represented Fortune 100 insurance company in responding to multi-state attorney general investigation stemming from criminal cyber attack
- Represented Home Depot in aftermath of well-publicized payment card breach
- Represented Supervalu Inc. regarding theft of payment card information and related regulatory inquiries